Branch: Carl E. Sanders Family YMCA at Buckhead
Supervisor: Aquatics Director /Sports Director
Under the direction of the Aquatics Director/Sports Director, the Gymnastics Instructor will provide instruction and leadership for gymnastics classes and activities. This position must perform program responsibilities in accordance with the policies, goals, mission, values and objectives established by the Metropolitan Atlanta YMCA.
1. Current state approved first aid certification.*
2. Current state approved CPR/AED certification.**
3. YMCA certification as offered and required for program area.
4. Knowledge in teaching the basic progressions of gymnastics and movement education a plus but not required.
5. One year or more of experience participating in, or working with, gymnastics.
6. Ability to motivate, coach and lead participants in the field of gymnastics.
7. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with participants, parents, volunteers and staff.
8. Ability to respond to safety and emergency situations.
9. Knowledge of how to instruct gymnastics including the rules and technique
10. High degree of Human Relations Skills.
11. Put the Metro Atlanta YMCA Youth Sports Philosophy into effect.
12. Pass the State of Georgia criminal background check.
* Necessity and timing determined by site/branch.
** YMCA certification to be obtained within 6 months of employment.
ORGANIZATIONAL COMPETENCIES - Leader
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports Partner With Youth Fundraising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
1. Provides instruction in one or more gymnastic activities.
2. Participates in special events and activities related to gymnastics and recreation
3. Maintain effective relationships with schools, parents, participants, and other groups.
4. Attends staff meetings and approved training as required.
5. May maintain attendance and other records.
6. Follows safety guidelines and responds to and reports incidents and accident.
7. When teaching classes, the instructor must inform all students of rules and regulations of the gymnastics program, in addition to the safety rules.
8. Arrive 10 minutes before your class begins to converse with other instructors and to get prepared for your class.
9. Keep attendance records for each class and evaluate the students on a regular basis. They will receive their evaluation form at the end of the session.
10. Teach classes using the four value characteristics of the YMCA. If the instructor must miss a class, a substitute MUST be found to cover the class immediately. This is the instructor’s responsibility not the supervisor. If no sub can be found, then contact the supervisor
11. Teach proper techniques to the students and keep a positive environment. The teacher should not tolerate misbehavior and should teach their students proper behavior in the gym.
12. Must wear proper dress when teaching. (staff shirt must be worn at all times, shorts with no holes, sweat pants, hair pulled up and out of face and sneakers or no shoes, no sandals)
13. Report all injuries and incidents to the Senior Program Director and complete an incident/accident report.
14. Instructors may be responsible for setting up/breaking down all gymnastics equipment for classes.
Ability to move, set up and store equipment weighing up to 50 pounds. Also needs to have the motor skills necessary to demonstrate specific techniques and skills required to master the sport.
To provide a safe, clean, controlled and fun environment in accordance with the Metro Atlanta YMCA Youth Sports Philosophy.
Salary: $7.95 - $10.60 per hour
Hours: Part-time non-exempt
Apply online: press “Apply for this Position” or “Add to My Jobs” button below
Contact Phone: No phone calls please
Close Date: February 22, 2013
Metro Atlanta YMCA - 10 months ago