At long last, the American Queen is returning to America's waterways. Known as the largest steamboat in the world, the American Queen will travel the Mississippi River and its surrounding tributaries. Offering vacations filled with nostalgia, history, romance and adventure, visitors will delight aboard this truly remarkable steamboatin' experience.
The American Queen Steamboat Company is looking for an enthusiastic and motivated individual for the position of Chief Mate. The ideal candidate for this position will be responsible for the following job duties (this list is not all inclusive but meant to be a preview of the expectations of this position).
The Chief Mate is the head of deck department and the Captain’s deputy. When the Captain is absent from the vessel, the Chief Mate becomes the Officer in Charge of the vessel. He / she is the Vessel Security Officer and alternate Vessel Safety Officer. He / she is responsible for the supervision and administration of Deck Crew in terms of orderliness, appearance and fit for duty. He / she is responsible for the well being of all passengers and crew on board the vessel.
• Must possess leadership qualities with the ability to give personnel sound instructions.
• Must possess all documentation as set forth by the U.S.C.G. and company policies.
• Must possess FCC Marine Radio Operations license.
• Must possess Radar certification (endorsement necessary as per vessel)
• Must possess USCG license which satisfies COI requirements of applicable vessel.
• High School Diploma or equivalent.
• Ability to work 12 hours or more per day, stand for long periods of time & lift at least 60 pounds.
Travel & Schedule
Work shall be performed onboard the vessel, American Queen, on a rotation of “6 weeks on/2 weeks off”; crew shall live aboard the vessel and may be required to work up to 12 hour days during their rotation.
Travel allowance shall be provided for crew travel to/from the vessel. Allowance amount depends on position and/or home port location of crewmember.
American Queen Steamboat Company offers a comprehensive benefits package for eligible crewmembers and their dependents. Length of service, hours worked and other factors determine eligibility. Benefits include, Medical, Dental, Life Insurance, AD&D, Short Term Disability, 401 K and Educational Assistance.