NUCLEAR ENGINEER, ALBQUERQUE, NM, (SEASSP-2012-10)
Applied Research Associates, Inc. is seeking an engineer or engineering physicist to support research and development associated with radiation detection, nuclear weapon effects and nuclear forensics. The candidate should have a background in engineering physics, nuclear engineering or physics, and well-developed skills and interest in mathematical modeling and computer programming. The candidate should have experience related to understanding the physics of ionizing radiation, radiation detection and transport, as well as the physical effects associated with nuclear weapons. The individual must have good research, analysis, and model development skills. The successful candidate will apply his/her understanding of radiation and nuclear weapon effects to the use and development of mathematical models and software tools, as well as perform analysis in support of radiation detection, consequence assessment and nuclear forensics. Calculations will include high-fidelity Monte Carlo radiation transport modeling and computational fluid dynamics (CFD) calculations and will require detailed data analysis and evaluation. Candidate will also support hands-on testing and evaluation of commercial and prototype radiation detection systems. The candidate will work in a team environment and will also assist in cultivating marketing opportunities.
Position will initially be located in Albuquerque, NM with possible opportunities to move to the Washington DC area in the future.
Applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
- M.S. in Engineering Physics, Nuclear Engineering, Physics, or a related discipline.
- Candidate must have good oral and written communication skills.
- Candidate should be familiar with mathematical and analytical tools such as MATLAB or Mathmatica, as well as familiarity with radiation transport and CFD codes.
- Candidate must have well-developed oral and written communication skills and should be able to work with little supervision, including setting and achieving interim milestones that support higher task objectives.
- The candidate must be able to obtain a security clearance, which includes U.S. citizenship.
- Position requires three to five years of experience in a relevant scientific discipline.
- Experience with radiation detection and survey equipment.
- Experience with parallel processing and high-performance computing
- Previous experience with mathematical modeling and familiarity with government exposure regulations for hazardous materials considered a plus.
- Experience with MCNP or other radiation transport codes and computational fluid dynamics calculations
- Computer programming experience such as Java, C++ or Python is also desired.
Applied Research Associates, Inc. is an employee-owned international research and engineering company recognized for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems in the physical sciences. The company, founded in Albuquerque, NM, in 1979, currently employs over 1,200 professionals and continues to grow. ARA offices throughout the United States and Canada provide a broad range of technical expertise in defense technologies, civil technologies, computer software and simulation, systems analysis, environmental technologies, and testing and measurement. The corporation also provides sophisticated technical products for environmental site characterization, pavement analysis, and robotics.
At ARA, employees are our greatest assets. The corporation realizes that employee ownership spawns greater creativity and initiative along with higher performance and customer satisfaction levels. ARA gives its employees the tools, training, and opportunities to take more active roles as owners. The culture is challenging; innovation and experimentation are the norm. Employees are eligible for contributions which not only add to the company’s success, but also their own through the Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). The motto, “Engineering and Science for Fun and Profit” sums up the ARA experience. For additional information and an opportunity to join this unique workplace, please visit our website at www.ara.com
Please apply at www.careers.ara.com for the Nuclear Engineer, (SEASSP-2012-HEMR10) position. ARA is an EEO/AA employer.
Applied Research Associates, Inc. (ARA) is an international research and engineering company recognized for providing technically excellent...