Title: Principal Linux Systems Administrator (Contractor)
Department: Hosting Operations
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Reports To: Sr Manager
Ariba, Inc. is the leading provider of collaborative business commerce solutions. Ariba combines industry-leading software as a service (SaaS) technology to optimize the complete commerce lifecycle with the world's largest web-basedcommunity to discover, connect and collaborate with a global network of trading partners and expert capabilities to augment internal resources and skills, delivering everything needed to control costs, minimize risk, improve profits and enhance cash flow and operations – all in a cloud-based environment. Whether you’re buying, selling or managing cash, you can do it more efficiently and effectively in the Ariba® Commerce Cloud. Over 300,000 companies, including more than 80 percent of the Fortune 100, use Ariba’s solutions to drive more efficient inter-enterprise commerce.
Our Hosting Operations team is growing. We are looking for a Principal Linux Systems Administrator to provide support to our Cloud Hosting Operations. This is a 6 month contract with a possibility of converting to full-time .
Basic Minimum Qualifications
- Reporting to Senior Infrastructure Manager, this is a key responsibility for Ariba’s 24/7 business critical datacenter environment.
- Designs and oversees mission critical systems configurations for Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Suse Linux employing enterprise cluster applications in a 24/7 datacenter environment.
- Designs and oversees enterprise mass storage systems and network filers.
- Installs, configures and maintains system applications including DNS, Sendmail, Bind, SSH, TCP/IP and NFS.
- Designs and manages change control procedures employed by the Operations teams.
- Mentors other members of the Operations teams.
- Assists in coordinating and prioritizing team tasks and driving projects to high-quality, on-time completion.
- Drives consensus for systems design and process changes, as well as documentation and monitoring changes.
- Develops and maintains Perl and Shell scripts to enhance deployment and monitoring framework.
- Develops and maintains comprehensive documentation for multiple environments.
- Provides support for 24x7 customer-facing systems (shared responsibility).
Qualifications & Abilities:
- 7+ years professional experience administering one or more enterprise level Linux operating environments.
- 7+ years professional experience administering network utilities such as Sendmail, Bind, SSH.
- Deep understanding of configuring and managing mass storage systems and network filers.
- Hands on installing, configuring and managing servers.
- Ability to demonstrate expert knowledge of operating system internals, file system structures and machine architectures in a Linux operating environment.
- Ability to demonstrate expert knowledge installing and supporting mass storage systems.
- Ability to demonstrate extensive experience with Netapp filers.
- Experience using Veritas Volume Manager and Cluster Server.
- Extensive experience with enterprise backup systems.
- Extensive experience with automated installation tools such as Kickstart.
- Ability to write and maintain Perl and Shell scripts to automate processes and enhance productivity.
- Ability to react at anytime of day, onsite or remotely.
- Ability to work off-hours for systems upgrades, emergencies.
- Ability to solve problems quickly and decisively.
- Team-player who is flexible and able to work with end-users and production issues simultaneously.
- Strong project management and communication skills.
- Experienced working in dynamic, fast-paced environment with well-developed practices and procedures.
- Experience running mid-size 24x7 production systems (more than 1000 servers).
- Proficiency in compiling, customizing and supporting tools and products obtained from source code.
- Experience setting up and administering network equipment including firewalls, routers, load balancers and switches.
- In-depth knowledge of TCP/IP and administration of NFS and NIS.
- Experiencing implementing and maintaining a system management tool such as CFEngine.
- RedHat and/or Suse Linux Certification a plus.