The James Allen Companies is currently recruiting an experienced Senior Underwriter. The Senior Underwriter with technical direction underwrites risk regarding selection and rejection of new and/or renewal business within our A&H group which may include sports accident, business travel and AD&D coverages. Administers and monitors underwriting rules and guidelines, rating manual rates and insurance laws and regulations. Analyzes quality and quantity of risks written and prepares reports accordingly. Monitors and evaluates results of assigned producers and assigned territory. Recommends and implements action plans for improvement of underwriting results for assigned producers and assigned territory. May act as coach /mentor to newer underwriters.
1) Manages profitable producer relationships by evaluating results and conducting portfolio reviews for assigned territory and individual producers, developing integrated pictures of factors that affect profitability, growth, retention and recommending, implementing, and monitoring necessary action plans.
2) Examines, identifies, and evaluates exposures by analyzing documentation from various sources (e.g. application, inspection reports, credit reports, etc.) and makes underwriting decisions to accept, decline, or modify risks within assigned underwriting authority levels and territory and in partnership with underwriting team Manager when appropriate. Implements underwriting decisions in compliance with state laws and company guidelines.
3) Develops superior working relationships with producers, and with internal and external partners, to successfully promote achievement of mutual operating goals (ie growth, retention, profitability) and to supply the appropriate products and services.
4) Processes underwriting decisions and documents files and reports via automated desktop systems and tools.
5) Gathers and analyzes competitor information and producer specific reports on assigned producers retention, profitability and potential, to support territorial pricing and appetite reviews. Works with other underwriting staff to determine and make recommendations for pricing, products, systems, etc.
6) Collaborates with team members to manage work inventories and all production activities to provide accurate and timely service in accordance with corporate standards.
7) Stays abreast of territory and insurance trends.
Must be able to identify and describe the major perils insured under policies. Must be able to independently identify and describe the exposures and hazards to consider in making an underwriting decision. Must know how to effectively obtain information needed to make an underwriting decision. Must have proven analytical, decision making, problem-solving, communication, listening and organizational skills. Must be able to work both independently and as a highly collaborative member of a team. Must be proficient with Microsoft Office suite as well as electronic underwriting systems. Must be able to work in a fast pace and rapidly changing environment.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree preferred. The ideal candidate should have a minimum of 3-5 years progressively complex underwriting experience.
The James Allen Companies - 13 months ago
Jersey City, NJ
- 19 hours ago