Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline (SSCGP) is an interstate natural gas transportation company, headquartered in Owensboro, KY. SSCGP operates a 6,000-mile pipeline system transporting natural gas from Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Wyoming and Colorado to markets in the Mid-continent. We provide competitive salaries and benefits.
Southern Star provides a fun, friendly, and modern working environment as well as competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
This position is accountable, under intermittent supervision, for installation, monitoring, diagnosis, repair, preventive maintenance and operation of electronic communications equipment, and related auxiliary equipment and facilities in designated area of a natural gas pipeline system, according to company standard procedures and practices. This position will require daily travel in a company provided vehicle up to 50% of the time, with an occasional overnight stay away from home.
This position reports to and is directly accountable to the Supervisor, IT Communications. This individual will work with all levels of Operations personnel and accept assigned responsibilities. The individual will perform at a satisfactory level while maintaining positive and ethical relationships with others including customers, consultants, and vendors. Although this technician receives guidance from more senior level technicians and Operations Technical Support Staff, it is also expected that this technician will provide guidance and training to less experienced personnel within the Communication functions of the Company.
The individual will be required to maintain and operate their assigned district in strict compliance with the SSCGP O&M Manual, State, and Federal regulatory codes.
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Perform installation, operation and maintenance of video, voice/data, transmission switching, and supervisory control and communication equipment (SCADA)
- Operate test equipment to identify communication equipment problems and make repairs as required
- Maintain service logs, circuit lists, wiring diagrams, and other maintenance records on communications equipment
- Ability to read, interpret, and recommend modifications to blueprints, schematics, drawings, manuals, and maps
- Coordinate vendor repair and serve as contact for other communication service providers
- Ability to understand and implement company policies, procedures, maintenance manuals, applicable federal, state, and local regulations as well as adherence to all safety policies and procedures
- Ability to use computer based maintenance management software to schedule and track activities
- Ability to pass DOT-DQF (Department of Transportation-Driver Qualification File) requirements (no CDL required)
- Assist Operations personnel in performing technical and non-technical tasks
- Oversee construction and/or maintenance activities performed by third parties
- Complete appropriate documentation and paperwork
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervision
- Install, test, and maintain radio equipment and systems
- Ability to use standard electronic technician tools, such as soldering equipment, hand and power tools
- Respond to emergency callout situations after hours and on weekends.
- Associates Degree in electronics, communications, or related technical discipline and/or 2+ year experience directly related to the operation, maintenance and control of natural gas transmission facilities
- Basic knowledge of communication end devices and control equipment and systems
- Problem solving skills
- Basic understanding of fundamentals of radio systems
- Basic diagnostic and troubleshooting skills for electronic equipment
- Basic understanding of IP (Internet Protocol) network systems and components
- Basic competency in usage of Microsoft Office applications; Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and be able to operate company vehicles in a safe and responsible manner
Working Location: Blackwell, OK
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering Technology with emphasis on Communications systems or Computer Science or related degree
- 2+ years’ experience working with electronic measurement, communications and SCADA equipment as used in natural gas transmission facilities
- 5+ years’ experience in installing, maintaining and troubleshooting communications systems in the VHF, 900 MHz, and microwave bands in the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz range
- Knowledge of principles and practices used in the installation and maintenance of stationary and mobile radio communications equipment, solid-state electronics, analog and digital circuits, and maintenance of radio equipment
- Knowledge and experience installing, configuring and maintaining network infrastructure components
- Experience in IP telephony systems
- License/Certifications: any of FCC Second Class or General Radio Telephone license, NABER certification, APCO certification, etc.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
SSCGP is AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We thank all applicants for their interest, but we will only respond to those candidates selected for interviews.