Solazyme seeks a Process Engineer to develop and implement novel, scalable and economical processes for oleaginous microbes at pilot and commercial scale. The position will involve process transfers from R&D to R&D, Pilot and Manufacturing scales to produce kilogram to multi-ton quantities of biomass. A sound knowledge of laboratory scale through commercial scale fermentation and / or recovery operations is essential. The main focus of this position is transferring laboratory and pilot scale aseptic fermentation processes to laboratory, pilot and manufacturing facilities in Brazil. This position requires travel and long term stays in Brazil. The successful candidate will work on various multi-disciplinary project teams. Strong leadership, organizational and communication skills (written and oral) are essential.
Interact with outside partners / third-party service providers / contractors to support contract manufacturing
- Work with R & D to scale up lead strains to pilot scale and production scale
- Lead fermentation process transfers to laboratory, pilot and commercial scale facilities
- Author comprehensive process transfer packages
- Design, specify and implement process equipment for laboratory and pilot scale aseptic fermentation unit operations
- Implement process improvements and control strategies
- Provide on-the-floor technical support during process transfers
- Fermentation process data analysis
- Develop operating SOPs and manufacturing batch records for various facilities
- Develop process specific and aseptic processing training modules for technicians
JOB REQUIREMENTS :
If you are interested in this opportunity and meet are requirements we encourage you to apply. This position comes with a competitive compensation and benefits package, 401k, and equity participation. For more information about the company, please visit www.solazyme.com , and apply through our web portal. Solazyme is an equal opportunity employer.
- Degree in Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering or equivalent with 5 -10 years lab, pilot or commercial scale operation experience
- Very strong working knowledge of aseptic fermentation and recovery processes, microbial physiology, process control strategies, and related processing equipment and systems.
- Strong communication skills and ability to interact effectively with multidisciplinary groups.
- Sound understanding of process utility systems at pilot and commercial scale
- Experience with bioengineering issues such as mixing, mass transfer, heat transfer, aseptic design, and sterilization
- Project engineering experience related to pilot plant or demonstration plant design, build, and start-up
- Travel up to 80% of the time to Brazil.
Solazyme - 9 months ago
Solazyme is a synthetic biology company that unleashes the power of marine microbes to create clean and scalable solutions for the renewable...