Coinstar, Inc . (NASDAQ: CSTR), voted one of FORTUNE's '100 Fastest-Growing Companies', is a leading provider of automated retail solutions offering convenient services that make life easier for consumers and drive incremental traffic and revenue for retailers. The company’s core automated retail businesses include the well-known Redbox ® self-service DVD rental and Coinstar ® self-service coin-counting brands. The company has approximately 36,000 DVD kiosks and 20,600 coin-counting kiosks in supermarkets, drug stores, mass merchants, financial institutions, convenience stores, and restaurants. For more information, visit www.coinstarinc.com .
Sr. Developer, Data Science - Alula
Do you have an entrepreneurial spirit and want to be a part of a start-up business within a Fortune 500 company? Alula is a new business unit within Coinstar whose fun & quirky yellow kiosks give people cash for their unwanted gift cards. We have kiosks installed in Chicago, Columbus and Phoenix and have been liberating people’s unused gift cards for about a year. Our cutting edge platform, gui and permissiveness engine have been trying to keep pace with consumer demand.
We are now in need of a Data Scientist to help us make sense of our transaction signatures, mine our existing data set and help build our next generation software platform. We don’t have Big Data yet, but there are big things inside it and we need to find them. The Data Scientist will report directly to the Head of Technology for Alula but will contribute to all aspects of the business.
We’re fans of the definition of the role as given by a prominent Chief Scientist: [Data Scientists] are half hacker, half analyst; they use data to build products and find insights. It's Columbus meet Columbo – starry eyed explorers and skeptical detectives.
Summary of Key Responsibilities :
· Deliver weekly updates on patterns identified in commerce behavior
· Deliver weekly updates on fraud mitigation performance
· Deliver algorithms designed to aid in real time transaction permissiveness application
· Model data structures for representation and detection of fraudulent activity
· Accurately predict financial benefit for changes in data collection or retailer availability
· Pre-emptively identify fraud patterns not yet seen in our transaction set
· Deliver deep insight into user fallout data and what areas to attack with functionality
· Make mathematical arguments for hardware and software product decisions
Qualifications & Experience :
· Deep familiarity with statistics (studying), data munging & scraping (suffering) and visualization (story telling)
· Possess a self-starter attitude and a tenacity not only for solving problems, but for identifying the ones that matter
· Possess valuable creativity in the way you frame and address problems
· Previous experience with SQL, noSQL, big data, SSRS, R, Matlab ,Weka, Python, Ruby, Java, LISP or equivalent preferred
· Be able to translate human behavior into patterns and extract behavioral patterns from data
· Drive understanding of all customer interactions at the kiosks, online, through our mobile app, etc. and help us uncover systemic issues and identify opportunities to improve the product and consumer experience as a whole
· Advanced technical degree or MBA a positive but not required
· 8-10 years professional experience in a deep data analysis field
· Must be able to point to difficult problems solved and impactful insights gained using statistical analysis, data mining and advanced technical tools
· Deep comfort with complex ‘big data’ modeling and manipulation absolutely required
· Able to balance strategic goals with nimble tactical execution in a fast paced environment
· Able to quickly learn new skills and technologies and directly apply those learning’s an absolute must
· The successful candidate will be a superb communicator, with both technical and business stakeholders throughout the organization
In addition to a rewarding career, Coinstar offers excellent employee benefits and competitive compensation. For more information about this position and to apply, please visit our website at www.coinstarinc.com/careers .
Coinstar - 19 months ago
There's big money in spare change, and Coinstar has turned the previously underutilized "fourth wall" area between the cash...