Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
1. Greets and assists patients in a timely, professional and courteous manner.
2. Puts Patient Satisfaction first with every patient encounter and focuses on surpassing patient expectations.
3. Treat all Internal Customers with respect and ensures internal customer satisfaction.
4. Responds quickly, courteously and accurately to written, verbal, and telephone inquiries.
5. Answers department telephones providing routine information, taking messages, and/or referring calls to the appropriate party. This may include scheduling patients.
6. Ability to adjust/adapt to work in different departments and with a variety of staff, including physicians.
7. Obtains new and verifies existing patient information at the time of registration, including using electronic eligibility tools such as NEHEN. Obtains copies of insurance cards and/or other identification documents.
8. Ensures appropriate completion of consent form and patient rights to set up a patient account and/or medical record.
9. Enters information into the admitting screens of CPSI or applicable system completely and accurately, paying particular attention to PHI at the time of registration.
10. Ensures MSP questionnaire within the Admitting module is accurate and complete for every Medicare recipient, as required.
11. Prepares and distributes registration information to rehabilitation staff quickly and appropriately according to hospital policy and procedures.
12. Ability to enter and reconcile charges on an as needed basis.
13. Ability to assist patient with Financial Counseling – helping to educate patient regarding insurance coverage opportunities available at the point of registration. Refers to Patient Advocates as appropriate.
14. Ability to identify Patient Liability and collect and record Patient co-pay in appropriate system, including accepting credit card payments.
15. Ability to process necessary authorization to ensure insurance coverage / help identify lack of coverage / etc.
16. Pre-Resisters scheduled visits and verifies pre-certification, when applicable.
17. Brings all charge ticket issues, i.e. missing codes, inappropriate completion, to immediate attention of therapist or rehabilitation manager.
18. Maintains work area in a tidy manner and stores supplies properly.
19. Demonstrates the ability to utilize proper procedures in the event of a disaster or threat to security
20. When registering patients, the employee is responsible for searching the patient database for past records to avoid duplicate or erroneous assignment of medical record numbers. Does not exceed benchmark threshold for duplicate registrations.
21. Communicates with off-site NCH operations as necessary, including Patient Accounts at Partner HealthCare.
22. Other duties as assigned.
Essential Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required for the Position
Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
Knowledge of medical terminology preferred.
Must be able to demonstrate adequate technical skills and judgment to function unsupervised during on-call, second shift, and weekend hours.
Must have computer skills and type 50 WPM.
Excellent communication skills required.
Ability to supervise volunteers and interns.
Ability to tactfully communicate with both internal and external customers.
Ability to handle stress and work in emergency situations. Ability to use of fingers and hands to operate all department-related equipment as described on the Department checklist. Additionally, must use beeper, telephone, calculator, fax, and other related office equipment.
Ability to f requently bend, using back and knees.
Ability to stand and walk 30%, sit 70% of the time. Ability to frequently climb, bend, reach, stoop, squat, help lift objects from five to fifty pounds and move patients via wheelchair or stretcher.
Ability to use hands, fingers, arms and wrists, hearing, smell, and verbal skills are required in order to perform job duties.
Ability to present themselves in a professional manner.
Credentials and Experience Required
High School Degree or GED required.
Prior admitting/patient registration experience in a health care setting of greater than 1 year preferred.
Must be able to clearly read/write the English language.
Regular workweek requiring minimal additional hours. Some days, evenings, weekends and holidays required for this position.
Must be available to work in the case of a declared hospital emergency.
Nantucket Cottage Hospital - 10 months ago
Nantucket Cottage Hospital is a not-for-profit Critical Access Hospital that serves an island community 30 miles from the mainland. It has a...