Sr Technical Writer
Job ID : 2013-15380
# of Positions: 1
Posted Date: 2/6/2013
Job Location: US-IA-Iowa City
Position Type: Regular Full Time
Category: Information Technology
Pearson has one defining goal: to help people progress in their lives through learning. We champion innovation and we invest in models for education that deliver on our promise for effective, accessible, and personal learning from early literacy, college and career readiness to professional education, through data informed instruction and inventive applications for mobile and digital learning.
Pearson, the world's leading learning company, has global-reach and market leading businesses in education, business, and consumer publishing and is listed on the London and New York stock exchanges (UK: PSON; NYSE: PSO). For more information, visit www.pearson.com.
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The primary responsibility of the Senior Technical Writer is to create and/or edit technical documentation in response to proposals and to maintain documentation for the company's industry-leading software products. The Senior Technical Writer will also be responsible for developing and maintaining a Microsoft Project schedule that defines major document development milestones and hand-offs with accurate durations.
Essential Functions and Basic Duties:
- Research and translate technical information into manuals and/or web-based documents for technical users
- Publish documentation in accordance with established guidelines
- Build, enhance and maintain the technical documentation style guides/standards
- Coordinate the documentation process to ensure that no changes are made without buy-in and consensus
- Develop, write, and edit user manuals and technical guides related to Pearson products
- Closely interact with development and support teams, product managers and program teams supporting our customers along with alignment of project objectives as well as demonstrate responsibility to ensure they are met
- Coordinate documentation technical review to ensure content accuracy
- Work with other Technical Writers and Business Analysts to ensure timely delivery of documentation
- Other duties as assigned
- Communicate information and ideas clearly, and concisely, in writing
- Achieve high productivity in creation of technical documentation
- Proactively inform the manager about project status, issues, or concerns
- Perform quality checks on other writers' deliverables and ensure the quality of own work before hand-off to customers
- Professionally represent Pearson with work product deliverables
- Meet committed schedules and deadlines
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, writing, or related field preferred
- Five years experience in technical document design and layout
- Possess excellent skills in the English language and be able to communicate clearly and concisely with a keen eye for document design
- Knowledge of graphics design concepts and practices that can be used to convey meaning of data on reports
- Demonstrated ability/experience with Exstream, Adobe InDesign, Paint Shop and/or other comparable graphic design tools preferred
- Ability to use MS Office products (Word, Excel, Project, Visio, Power Point) required
- Ability to thoroughly research and understand new software products
- Self starter and ability to work independently
- Flexible/adaptable with ability to set and manage multiple priorities
- Ability to work cooperatively with all levels of management and employees and contribute as a team member
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Pearson Education - 2 years ago
Pearson is an international media company with world-leading businesses in education, business information, and consumer publishing. Our...