Senior Analytical Research Scientist
About Mars Botanical
Building on more than 15 years of Mars, Incorporated global leadership in the science investigating the health and biomedical potential of flavanols, Mars Botanical was established as a scientific division of Mars, Incorporated in 2007 to focus on research and product development involving flavanols, phytonutrients found in cocoa, tea, wine and certain fruits and vegetables. Mars Botanical’s mission is to improve human health by promoting and delivering the natural power of flavanols through passionate and caring entrepreneurship. We will continue to focus on industry leading research and product development involving flavanols, phytonutrients found in cocoa and certain fruits and vegetables.
About Mars Symbioscience
Mars Symbioscience is the global health & life sciences segment of Mars, Incorporated focused on delivering evidence-based science. An idea incubator, Mars Symbioscience is headquartered in Germantown, Maryland, U.S.A., and through its business units, Mars Botanical, Mars Veterinary and Mars Plantcare, produces brands including
About Mars Veterinary
Mars Veterinary is a division of Mars, Incorporated, a company known for innovative consumer and pet food brands that are trusted by people around the world, dedicated to facilitating responsible pet care by enlightening pet owners and communities with valuable insights into their pets as individuals through innovative, science-based discoveries. Through the
dog DNA tests, Mars Veterinary is helping dog owners know more than ever before about their canine companions.
This laboratory-based position will focus on the development, validation, and implementation of analytical activities that meet near and long term regional and global business objectives. This role includes the development and oversight of analytical methodologies used in the evaluation or characterization of raw materials, in-process materials, and finished goods, including foods, dietary supplements, and medical foods. This role will work closely with Quality and Safety Team to ensure analytical compliance with required testing, and in support of product failure investigations, and will work with the Food Applications Team in support of the evaluation of new ingredients and product offerings. The qualified individual in this role will collaborate - within the Analytical Team, as well as directly with the Food Applications Team - to support research activities and needs. This position will involve mentorship of junior scientific staff. Though focus will be on the support of priorities of Mars Botanical, this role will interface with other Mars inc. business units, applying Mars 5 principles, and appropriate scientific standards.
- Responsible for development and validation of new analytical methods, development of new analytical technology, including associated standard operating procedures, and training of staff in new methods and technologies.
- Capable of running a research project, including the development of the study design, generation of data, evaluation of data, and write- up of the results, whether for internal purpose (technical reports) or publication
- Utilize all available techniques and analytical instrumentation for monitoring laboratory experiments and the analysis of products effectively.
- Liaison between functional groups, as well as segments for a wide variety of
analytical aspects including the meaning of analytical data from various sources; the quality aspects of analytical projects and also timelines for analytical projects.
- Provides guidance (scientific and administrative) for junior analytical scientists
- Proactively and cooperatively communicates with peers, and communicates with management by proactively keeping management informed of results, of obvious and subtle problems and of likely potential problems, alternatives and their consequences.
- Has the ability to anticipate, recognize and resolve simple and complex technical issues, which arise during methods development, evaluating alternatives and initiating corrective actions.
- Works independently or cooperatively as neeed to validate a wide variety of analytical test methods using a variety of validation approaches. Routinely keeps manager informed of progress and issues.
- Proactively solves simple and complex problems through job knowledge; use of technical resources including technical literature and experts and well formulated, logical experimentation.
- As needed, makes recommendations to management regarding areas for development.
- Follows, understands and complies with all SOP’s and policies on cGMP’s and safety.
- Maintains a clean, safe and organized lab area, and may be responsible to ensure others maintain their lab areas. Often acts as role model for other scientists.
- Participates in drafting new SOP’s and policies.
- Accurately records own data and results in a timely manner and in compliance with appropriate quality standards. As needed, reviews and provides comment on data, protocols and reports in a timely manner.
- Manages whole projects. May establish schedules, project plans and direct activities of other scientists and non-scientists as well as provide analytical training for others.
- Write/co-author memos and scientific reports in support of Regulatory Submissions, Regulatory Field Alerts and support quality control and manufacturing documents.
- Technical expertise in developing and validating analytical methods, and conducting analytical testing using UPLC, HPLC, Mass Spectroscopy, fluorescence and/or absorbance spectrophotometers, and other analytical methods in an industrial environment is required
- Should have working knowledge of regulatory requirements for U.S. pertaining to foods, dietary supplements, and medical foods.
- Maintains a strong working knowledge of analytical techniques and their application to complex analytical and food chemistry problems.
- Can manage multiple projects concurrently and set priorities in conjunction with senior management in a fast-changing, results-oriented R&D environment.
- Excellent scientific skills in experiment design, data collection, and problem solving
- Is a team player, and establishes and maintains effective working relationships with other areas of the company, such as Food Applications, QC, Regulatory Affairs, Manufacturing, etc.
- Advanced understanding of the key scientific principles associated with the analysis of phytonutrients/botanicals is critical.
- Ability to present ideas effectively and communicate well with all levels of management within a team environment on a variety of programs and projects
- Robust understanding of Mars flavanol research platform as well as applicable patents and Mars flavanol related interests
- Demonstrated effective, broad technical skills, such as in: HPLC, UPLC, GC
- Demonstrated method development/validation, and project management experience required.
- Demonstrated experience in being able to work independently to get projects done
- Demonstrated high level of prioritization and organization skills, with self-motivation and a strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work in a cooperative manner within teams.
- Demonstrated ability to act as a mentor.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated creativity and innovative skills
Requirements and Education
Research and Development
- A PhD degree in Food Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, or a closely related scientific field is preferred with 3-5 years in relevant industrial or academic environment; a M.S. in similar field with 5- 7 years of experience will also be considered
Mars - 20 months ago
Mars knows chocolate sales are nothing to snicker at. It makes such worldwide favorites as M&M's, Snickers, and the Mars bar. Other...