Responsible for performing laboratory tests to determine chemical and physical characteristics or composition of solid, liquid, or gaseous materials for such purposes as quality control, process control, or product development. Emphasis on prepping coal samples and test the contents for Moisture, ash sulfur BTU. Performing analytical testing utilizing X-ray.
Laboratory Supervisor; Minerals Services
- Proximate analysis of coal and other fossil fuels (including moisture, ash, volatile matter, calorific value, sulfur, etc.) using appropriate designed equipment.
- Performing routine quality control to insure quality of work.
- Tests materials, and other products for such qualities as purity, stability, viscosity, density, absorption, burning rate, and melting or flash point.
- Tests solutions used in processes for chemical concentration, specific gravity, or other characteristics.
- Tests samples of manufactured and natural products to verify conformity to specifications.
- Records test results on standardized forms and data capture test reports.
- Calibrates laboratory instruments.
- Prepares chemical solutions according to standard formulas.
- Ensures laboratory area is cleaned and organized; and equipment is cleaned and sterilized.
- 12 hour rotating shifts.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
- 1 to 3 months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft Office Suite (MS Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.) and other applications.
- Must be able to pass a drug screen and background check prior to employment.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral forms with all levels of management, both internal and external to the department
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships at all levels both internal and external to the department.
- Ability to gather and review resources and select and synthesize data for reports and other written materials.
- Ability to work independently, often under pressure situations, within a team environment.
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to make sound suggestions or recommendations.
- Excellent organization skills which includes the ability to execute several assignments simultaneously while dealing with a steady of seemingly conflicting requests/priorities.
- Must have the ability to lift 50 lbs.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
- SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
SGS - 17 months ago
SGS is the world's leading independent testing, inspection, verification and certification company in the world.