Linux Systems Engineer - 18136
This details all the information about the job posting. To submit your resume, click on the 'Submit your Resume to this Job' button.
Job Title Linux Systems Engineer
Location US-VA-Blacksburg Blacksburg, VA 24060, US
Education Bachelor's Degree
Job Type Full-time
Travel Required 0
Rackspace, a world leader in hosting delivers enterprise-level managed hosting, cloud hosting, and e-mail hosting services to businesses of all types and sizes globally. Today we serve thousands of customers from data centers around the world. Rackspace integrates the industry's best technologies and practices for each customer's specific needs delivering it as a service via the company's commitment to Fanatical Support®. We serve as an extension of our customers' IT departments enabling them to focus on their core business. Rackspace was founded in 1998 and since then has had significant growth year after year.
The Linux Systems Engineer will be responsible for the following:
- Responsible for contributing to the architectural design and development of hardware, platform, and product deployments within the monitoring infrastructure.
- Collaborates on architectural framework for system development, maintenance, and enhancement efforts.
- Script the automation of routine tasks to help streamline operations and perform data collection.
- Implements standards and guidelines.
- Analyzes systems and performance usability testing to ensure performance and reliability, enhance scalability, and meet security requirements. Keeps informed of emerging technologies.
- Delivers on project milestones.
- Participates in a 24x7 on-call rotation with peers.
- Resolve escalated issues from the customer support organizations.
- Responsible for architectural design and development of hardware, software and networking systems.
- Analyzes systems and determines business requirements.
- Ensures completeness and compatibility of the technical infrastructure to support system performance.
- Keeps informed of new technology.
- Mentors Level 1 Engineers.
The most competitive candidate will have the following skills:
Rackspace Hosting is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Good RedHat linux and LAMP stack.
- Knowledge of scripting languages – bash, perl, etc.
- Good technical knowledge in technology methodologies and design.
- Good analytical and design skills at single-product/multi-environment level.
- Aware of business issues as they impact overall project plans.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of any monitoring system preferred.
- Solaris experience a plus.
- Able to resolve problems in a timely manner.
- PC’s, hardware equipment, various database and software applications, and networking systems.
- The right candidate for this position will have a strong background in systems configuration, design, integration, security management, and development.
- This person must have the ability to function within a highly dynamic, results driven and high-pressure environment in order to achieve required objectives.
- A Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience is required, with minimum 4+ years system administration experience or 2-3 years specialty engineering experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail and problem solving skills.
- Able to work successfully both independently and on a team.
- Creative thinking and ability to 'think outside the box' are ESSENTIAL.
- Well organized, attentive to details, and able to meet demanding deadlines.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain or to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of the employee assigned to this job.
Type of Job(-US Only) 0
Rackspace - 21 months ago
Rackspace Hosting is fanatically focused on hosting services, but also has its head in the clouds. The company provides a range of Web...