Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group is the award winning owner and operator of some of the most luxurious hotels, resorts and residences located in prime destinations around the world.
Increasingly recognized for creating some of the world's most sought-after properties, the Group provides 21st century luxury with oriental charm. Above all, Mandarin Oriental is renowned for creating unique hotels through distinctive design and a strong sense of place - luxury hotels right for their time and place.
Our award winning property, in the nation's capital, is situated on D.C.'s growing South West waterfront. Commanding monumental views, the property offers 400 guest rooms including 54 suites, extensive event space, two superb restaurants including our award winning AAA Five Diamond, CityZen. Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C. welcomes individuals who are guest centered and are committed to making a difference every day; continually getting better to keep us the best.
Mandarin Oriental, Washington, D.C. is currently seeking an experienced Assistant Director of Human Resources.
The Assistant Director of Human Resources is responsible for, but not limited to, the overall human resources staff and functions, including the day to day operations of the hiring, staffing, coordination of health benefits and welfare related issues, employee relations and financial obligations within the constraints of the HR budget.
The Assistant Director of Human Resources will report directly to the Director of Human Resources. The ADHR will provide generalist support and guidance to the Benefits Manager, the HR Manager. The ADHR will provide the HR Coordinator positions with direct supervision.
- Support Company's philosophy and company culture through the use of Pillars of Legendary Quality Experiences on a daily basis to ensure Guest Satisfaction and the achievement of our Mission statement.
- Responsible for the monitoring and administering of day-to-day Labor Relation matters in accordance with Mandarin and local standards, including, but limited to providing guidance and interpretation of Colleague handbook and Collective Bargaining Agreement, work with managers on investigations and collection of facts, participating in grievance and colleague dispute resolution meetings.
- Assist HRD in all union matters inclusive of mediation meetings, arbitrations, etc.
- Helps to promote a harmonious relationship with the Hotel, its colleagues and Local unions.
- Ensures that the working environment for all colleagues complies with Federal and State standards and obligations.
- Assist in the coordination and implantation of all colleague recognition programs and events.
- Oversees the coordination and planning of the colleague functions such as but not limited to, monthly themed luncheons, holiday and appreciation parties.
- Maintain and update policies, procedures and contingency plans.
- Playing a supporting role in the delivery of MOHG Employee Opinion Survey.
- Ensure all termination paperwork is properly completed (i.e. exit interview, return of all hotel issued property, locker inventory, etc. Notify Benefits Manager with regard to cancellation of insurance and COBRA notification.
- Participate with the Director of Human Resources in the preparation of HR annual budget.
- Assist HRD in the preparation of all necessary reports to MOHG (Group Director of Human Resources) turnover/retention, etc.
- Assist with the coordinated efforts in the development of middle management colleagues through succession planning and coaching.
- Assist with strategic planning
- Assistance in the oversight and maintenance of HRIS system, inclusive of audits.
- Ensure security and confidentiality of all information throughout the hotel.
- Requires high levels of interaction with all members of staff. Exchanging ideas, information and opinions with others to formulates policies and procedures and/or arrive jointly at decisions, conclusions or solutions.
- Ability to present themselves with an uplifting personality as well as presenting a high degree of confidentially.
- Involvement in the local community.
- A minimum of 2 years' experience in luxury hospitality.
- A minimum of 4 years' experience as an HR Professional.
- Prior Union Hotel experience (experience with Local 25 preferred.)
- Must possess excellent knowledge of all departments internally.
- Must possess ability to coordinate with multiple tasks.
- Must possess strong organizational skills.
- Computer literacy to include: HRIS system (preferable Ascentis), Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Microsoft Outlook, etc.
- Excellent communication skills both written/verbal.
- Problem solver.
- Requires high levels of interaction with all members of staff. Exchanging ideas, information and opinions with others to formulate programs and arrive jointly at decisions, conclusions and solutions.
- Possess high degree of stamina, agility and flexibility.
- Able to present themselves with an uplifting personality as well as presenting a high degree of confidentiality and professionalism at all times.
- Four year college degree, in related discipline required or equivalent experience.
- Experience in other operating departments in a luxury environment preferred.