As a skilled communicator, the Business Analyst (BA) is a liaison that manages requirements from client needs and business requirements, through technology and functional requirements, to solution implementation – providing analysis, support, and documentation where needed.
Business Analyst Experience
The mid-level Business Analyst has a minimum of two years of practical experience in the role, and focuses on delivering business value as quickly as possible on assigned projects. He or she exhibits a good working knowledge of requirements tasks, techniques, and deliverables, though may require coaching on more complex concepts. Ideally the BA has received training in formal (classroom) and informal (books, webinars, observation) situations, in addition to practical experience applying that knowledge in work situations.
Responsibilities and Expectations
- This job profile is consistent with the qualifications required for the IIBA Certification of Competency in Business Analysis™ (CCBA™) designation.
- Though on the higher end of the Business Analyst role, some mid-level BA’s may meet qualifications required for the IIBA Certified Business Analyst Professional™ (CBAP ™) designation.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Requirements Planning:
- Flexible and adaptable to the processes and techniques needed to complete work
- Identifies project stakeholders, subject matter experts, and impacted systems
- Contributes to requirements-related tasks and estimates
- Works on multiple projects with cross-functional teams, sometimes as part of a team of Business Analysts, other times as the exclusive BA
- Prioritizes to meet deadlines and expectations
- Requirements Elicitation:
- Coordinates requirements information gathering sessions, and effectively communicates with internal teams and external clients as needed
- Works towards facilitating requirements information gathering sessions
- Establishes requirements traceability and change management practices for project
- Requirements Analysis
- Manages requirements tasks and deliverables to meet the expectations of teammates and stakeholders
- Performs analytical tasks using techniques that enable an efficient, iterative delivery approach of continuous requirements identification and just-in-time definition of requirements
- Performs business and application analyses and problem solving related to digital experience design
- Translates wireframes and creative layouts into functional and non-functional requirements
- Documents requirements effectively for audience(s), and hosts review sessions for team feedback
- Requirements Validation
- Acts as liaison throughout project to help with understanding of, and traceability between, project goals, business requirements, technical requirements, and solution provided
- Participates in ad-hoc testing as required by QA team
- Participates in or facilitates user acceptance testing
- Other Business Analysis
- Contributes to the advocacy of the value added in having a business analyst on a project
- Works with practice leader to implement standards and best practices
- Identifies opportunities for improvement
- Attends and contributes to project team goals
- Develops current state and future state diagrams, or workflow diagrams, as needed for business process management
- Attends regular BA team meetings and training as recommended by supervisor
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience as a Business Analyst (though not necessarily with that title)
- Practical knowledge of Iterative, Agile, and Waterfall project methodologies, and how requirements management is modified to accommodate project needs
- Practical knowledge of Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
- Able to embrace and manage change in a fast-paced, highly creative environment
- Excellent verbal communication skills
The BA Life at Resource
- A bachelor's or master's degree in a related field of study
- Previous agency or client-facing experience
- Training and facilitation experience
- IIBA certification
- Familiarity with advertising, digital media, social media, mobile applications, etc.
- Business Analysts are part of the Shared Services group in the Technology Department. Currently, all BA’s report to one Associate Director of Business Analysis, who reports to the Executive Director of Technology.
- Resource standard business hours are 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM EST, however, work hours can be flexible if a BA needs to work earlier or later hours, or work remotely, as long as they are meeting both project and supervisor expectations.
- Occasional travel may be required to meet project expectations or to attend industry conferences and training, though travel is not a regular part of the BA role at this time.
- Depending on project deliverables and deadlines, some evenings and weekend work may be required.
Resource Interactive LLC - 2 years ago