The Packaging Operator is responsible for running and maintaining packaging department equipment which includes labelers, scales, conveyors, casers, stackers, coders and other related packaging safely and efficiently in relation to material usage documentation, product waste, sealing, coding and weight control.
Will have working knowledge and experience with wrapper operations; watching for jams and effectively threading wrap to prevent cost downtime due to handler error.
- Order packaging material (paper, poly, cartons) from storage as needed.
- Visually inspect boxes, cartons and other packaged materials for printing defects.
- Ensure proper sizing of product containers.
- Load packaging material onto machines in a timely manner to ensure no line stoppages.
- Observe operation of equipment and perform necessary adjustments to ensure product specifications are met.
- Perform net weight control checks and make equipment adjustments as needed.
- Communicate any changes in product flow, equipment malfunctions, shortages or deviations from specifications to Production Supervisor, maintenance or other operators verbally and/or in writing.
- Inspect packaging, coding and seals to verify conformance to specifications and performs necessary adjustments to ensure compliance
- Ensure the proper packaging materials are used for each product being produced.
Ensure all paperwork is filled out in a clear, legible and accurate format, and completed with required information. Ensure all required information is documented in accordance with SOP’s.
- Ensure machine is supplied with correct material needed to run and complete log books as required.
- Prepare equipment for next run to include size changes as needed.
Maintain a clean, sanitary and safe work area.
- Analyze process data and equipment performance data to improve quality, throughput, and troubleshoot.
- Utilizing continuous improvement mindset, assist in identifying opportunities to improve processes.
- Follow Good Manufacturing Practices.
Follow all required work safe practices. This would include wearing of all required PPE in designated areas, confined space safety, safe chemical handling, fall restraints, etc.
Responsible for food safety, pre-requisite programs and food quality related to designated area. Report any food safety and food quality related issues to management immediately.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma or GED preferred; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or, equivalent combination of education and experience
Able to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
Experience within the food and beverage industry preferred.
Must be able to s tand, walk, kneel and bend for virtually the entire shift. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds occasionally including overhead.
Must be able to work in a wet environment. Some exposure to cleaning chemicals.
Must be willing to work flexible hours including overtime, weekends and holidays.
Be able to effectively work in a team environment.
Effective verbal and written communication skills.
Ability to work in a fast paced environment.
Must be able to pass all drug and background checks (including criminal).
NOTE: This is a 2nd Shift position; the successful candidate must be willing and able to work 2nd shift hours
Dean Foods Company is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V
- NOTE: If interested in this position, please apply by submitting your resume via the Dean Foods website. Please do not attempt to apply in-person. Walk-in applicants will not be considered. Due to the volume of resumes received, only those applicants identified as qualified for this position will be contacted.
Dean Foods - 18 months ago