Bronx Lighthouse Charter School is now accepting applications for Special Education Teachers for the 2013-2014 school year.
A Lighthouse Academy special education teacher provides direct services to students, consults with other professionals, discusses progress with parents, plans, delivers and evaluates instructional outcomes, and conducts the research needed to perform the essential functions of the position. Instruction is delivered in a classroom through an inclusion model and/or small group pull-out. The essential functions for our special education teachers are as follows:
Examples of Work:
- Implements the Lighthouse Academies, Inc. curriculum, which includes the incorporation of the arts in daily instruction.
- Collaborates with general education classroom teacher to modify curriculum to reach all learners.
- Writes goals and objectives for IEPs using state’s special education software, such as ISTAR.
- Administers and interprets individual formal and informal assessments and measures student achievement of, and progress toward, their objectives and goals.
- Participates in IEP meetings and provides necessary documentation, as requested.
- Provides progress reports to parents as stated in the IEP, maintain timely communication with all parents/guardians concerning student progress and to provide a clear picture of the curriculum and high expectations.
- Communicates and enforces high expectations and standards for behavior, aligned with the LHA School Culture Guide and Responsive Classroom/DDMS, to create a strong culture of achievement and respect.
- Organizes and maintains, in student file, all required paperwork for all assigned students and ensures compliance with federal and state regulations.
- Follows through with parent and staff requests and provides consultations regarding students.
- Coordinates services for assigned students provided by itinerant staff or 3rd party providers.
- Accesses meaningful learning experiences (current theory, research, and developments in relevant academic disciplines, professional development opportunities, and ideas from colleagues and supervisors) and exercises judgment in accepting findings as valid for application in classroom practice and teacher improvement.
- Reflects critically upon teaching experience; identify areas for further professional development as part of a professional development plan that is linked to grade level, school, and network goals; access meaningful learning experiences; and listen thoughtfully to other viewpoints and respond constructively to suggestions and criticisms.
- Develops an Individual Professional Development Plan for approval by the school principal.
- Writes students IEP according to federal and state guidelines
- Writes lesson plans that correlate with the IEP
- Completes progress reports and assessment reports as required.
- Maintains students’ files with completed paperwork reflecting the essential components as determined by federal and state laws
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree required, Masters Degree preferred
• Minimum of two years teaching experience in an urban public school or charter school setting preferred
• Required state teaching certification/licensure; Highly Qualified status under No Child Left Behind
• Proven track record of raising student achievement scores in an urban environment
• Strong desire to work within an innovative, urban educational program
• Mission Focused
• Driven towards Excellence
• Results Oriented
• Culturally Proficient
• Collaborative Colleague
• Constant Learner
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
• Knowledge of or experience with Common Core State Standards or Understanding by Design preferred
• Ability to use data to inform instruction and decision-making related to student achievement
• Ability to turn best practices into high quality, goal-driven results
• Highly effective writing, oral and interpersonal skills to communicate with a varied audience
• Data managements tools, organizational tools, computer skills (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook)
Lighthouse Academies - 30+ days ago
Lighthouse Academies is committed to improving the educational opportunities for children. If you would like us to assist you in creating ed...