Reports clinically to the MTC Medical Corporate Clinical Director and administratively to the health services administrator. Responsible for providing medical services related to diagnosis and treatment of inmate patients and emergency treatment of staff and visitors. Ensures that appropriate healthcare is accessible and provided to the inmate population in a timely fashion. Renders medical judgment regarding care provided to inmates assigned to the facility in compliance with MTC Medical and the Immigration and Customs Enforcement; Otero County Directives. Able to work days shift.
1. Performs complete medical histories and physical examinations; forms clinical impressions based upon findings; orders, diagnostic tests, interprets results of laboratory tests and radiological examinations, prescribes medications, and renders treatments appropriate to clinical impressions.
2. Inspects, completes and analyzes medical records, assigns reviews and updates medical classifications; completes admission notes, progress notes, and discharge summaries and makes rounds on patients admitted to the medical unit.
3. Serves in rotation with other physicians to provide after-hours and weekend patient care, if required, to include accepting on-call rotation.
4. Refers patients for specialty consultations and treatment through approved processes.
5. Utilizes established corporate, facility and corrections policies and procedures in making decisions, while using sound independent judgment in performing the duties of the position.
6. Maintains security and confidentiality of all patient medical records. Observe applicable HIPPA rules.
7. Evaluates provision of services to prevent inappropriate use or duplication of services.
8. Monitors all potential catastrophic illnesses.
9. Implement basic cost containment and utilization management for patient care and facility operations.
10. Complies with all applicable pharmacy regulations, especially those covering controlled substances.
11. Provides health counseling and health education on an individual or group basis, as required.
12. Assists corporate counsel with responses to inmate lawsuits.
13. Attends regularly scheduled staff meetings, promotes communication and the proper flow of relevant information.
14. Provides physical safety requirement recommendations that are necessary to promote a safe working environment to Health Services Administrator.
15. Facilitates, where applicable, NCCHC/ACA/JCAHO accreditation of the medical program by providing the required level of efficiency and approved appropriate medical services.
16. Complies with requirements of applicable regulations, laws, policies, standards and contracts.
17. Performs rescue functions at accidents, emergencies and disasters to include administering basic emergency medical aid, physically removing people away from dangerous situations, and securing and evacuating people from confined areas.
18. Maintain equipment and supplies.
19. Promote the development of positive social skills among staff and inmates through modeling appropriate behaviors and intervening when inappropriate behaviors are observed.
20. Maintain accountability of inmates and property; adhere to safety practices.
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by management.
Education and Experience Requirements:
Possession of a valid certificate issued by the American Board of Family Medicine (or Osteopathic Family Medicine) or the American Board of Internal Medicine (or Osteopathic Internal Medicine); or admissibility to an internal medicine or family medicine Specialty examination as evidenced by a written statement from the Secretary of the American Board of Family Medicine or the American Board of Internal Medicine. Valid license to practice medicine in the state of New Mexico , and current continuing education required by MTC Medical and professional regulatory board. Current DEA and current BLS certification. Valid driver’s license in the state of Texas or New Mexico with an acceptable driving record required, unless waived by management.
Post Hire Requirements:
Must successfully complete annual in-service training requirements, maintain appropriate facility clearance, and pass annual motor vehicle check.
Management & Training Corporation (MTC) prepares prison inmates for re-entry into society. It provides a variety of academic,...