Service, Science, Sustainability
Under the leadership of the Commissioner of Public Lands, our work at the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is done with the public’s interest in mind, which means transparency and public knowledge. Our decisions are guided by sound science as we manage state trust lands, native ecosystems and natural resources. We support the vision of a sustainable future by protecting and managing the natural resources so future generations will have them.
DNR manages over 5 million acres of state-owned land that includes forest, range, commercial, agricultural and aquatic lands. We generate revenue that supports public schools, state institutions and county services. But managing lands is only half of our story. We also protect other public resources such as fish, wildlife, water, and provide public access to outdoor recreation. Two of our largest and most important state-wide resource protection responsibilities are fire prevention and suppression, and overseeing forest practices.
The DNR has an annual operating budget of approximately $187 million and has over 1200 permanent employees with approximately 300 additional staff hired during the summer fire season.
We have some of the most talented people in the industry. We honor diversity in the workplace and support one another with respect and trust. We invite you to learn more about our culture, our careers, and why some of the top forestry and natural science professionals have joined Washington DNR by visiting our DNR website.
Information Technology Specialist 5 - ITS 5
Oracle Database Administrator
Recruitment # 2013-05-4268-05570
Salary Range: $5,010 – $6,575 per month
($4,860 – $6,378 with 3% temporary reduction)
Note: From July 1, 2011 through June 29, 2013 a 3% temporary salary reduction is in effect for most positions. For specific information on the Temporary Salary
Reduction, click here . This position is represented by the WFSE. Once appointed to this position the incumbent will be required to pay union dues or other representation fees within the first 30 days of employment.
Open until filled; First review begins on June 3, 2013
The Oracle DBA position uses independent judgment and expert level technical skills to perform duties and applies advanced expert level specialized knowledge of database management concepts, data design concepts, Oracle software and operating system software.
This position serves as a technical expert level specialist and senior consultant/advisor to senior management, project managers, and other IT professionals in the information technology field of database administration specializing in Oracle databases.
- Minimum of two years’ experience with specialized, expert-level, data resource management, leadership, and consultation using Oracle version 9 or higher as a DBA.
- Minimum of four years’ experience developing, recommending and implementing agency policy/procedures and strategic direction for the agency’s shared data resources over multiple hardware platforms and software environments.
- Four years’ experience with database/data storage management demonstrated by the ability to develop database system architecture and define requirements for database management system and support software.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience with designing relational databases
- Minimum of 1 year experience with Linux/Unix scripting
- Experience with Cron jobs
- Excellent trouble shooting skills
- Excellent documentation skills
- Experience administering ESRI ARCSDE
- Experience with ESRI ARCGIS software
- Experience with subversion revision control
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer science, information systems, science or natural resource management field
- Certification as an Oracle Certified Associate or Professional
- Is mission or goal oriented
- Has a positive, energetic work attitude
- Seeks new opportunities, is not afraid to tackle projects outside their scope of duties
- General understanding of natural resource management
SPECIAL POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- Occasional evening and weekend work may be required to complete assigned projects or activities.
- Employees who drive for state business, whether in a state or privately-owned vehicle, are required to possess a valid licensed as defined in policy P002-006 and abide by all other driver responsibility requirements.
WHO MAY APPLY
This recruitment is open to anyone who meets the required qualifications for this position.
- To be considered you must apply online at www.careers.wa.gov .
- Please complete the Applicant Profile in www.careers.wa.gov when applying for this position.
- You must answer the Supplemental Questions carefully and completely. Please make sure you copy and paste as requested in each supplemental question. Incomplete responses, including “please see resume” may disqualify you from further consideration.
- You may not reapply for this posting for 90 days.
For more information and HOW TO APPLY , please CLICK ON THE GREEN APPLY BUTTON ABOVE and:
Complete Applicant Profile online
Go to Supplemental Questions online and complete in entirety.
Please consider completing the online voluntary Applicant Profile Questionnaire . (This form is not required and is submitted online)
Questions? Please contact Sanjay Chopra at 360-902-1541 or e-mail us at DNRrecruiting@dnr.wa.gov .
Whether it's helping a vulnerable child, making highways safer or restoring salmon habitat, the work that we do matters to the people of...