The City of Wilsonville is seeking customer service oriented and safety conscious on-call drivers for the SMART transit system. Primary driving duties involve driving a transit coach or van, inspecting vehicles, and assisting riders with disabilities.
Training wage begins at $10 an hour. After the successful completion of a training period, incumbent wage will increase to $16.73 per hour.
Under the direct supervision of the Transit Field Supervisor, the Transit Driver is responsible for operating buses in a safe and efficient manner. In addition, the driver is responsible for providing for the safety and well-being of the passengers.
The Transit Driver reports to the Transit Field Supervisor.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The following tasks are representative and not to be considered all-inclusive
Provide safe and efficient transportation for the patrons of the Transit Department
Maintain buses and vans
- Operate the bus on scheduled route
- Pick up patrons on dispatched requests for transportation
- Operate the bus on scheduled activities i.e.: Parks & Recreation Department field trips, special movements
- Respond to medical emergencies and injuries to passengers in a manner consistent with the policies and procedures of the Transit Department
- Operate mail run when required
Service objective - courteous and respectful, responsive to citizen requests, and cost effective use of City resources.
- Conduct and document a thorough pre-trip inspection of the vehicle priorto operation on a daily basis
- Close all windows at end of run
- Fuel bus when required
- Conduct a post-trip inspection at the end of each shift, including checking the vehicle for damage
- Attend Transit Staff Meetings
- Maintain well-groomed appearance, including wearing the prescribed uniform and maintaining personal hygeine
- Maintain necessary records including tally sheets, time sheets, and Dial-A-Ride and lift logs
Supportive work environment - Treat other employees with respect, support a positive work environment, keep others informed of work issues and programs by maintaining quality communication, and work to resolve issues of conflicting personalities and needs.
Complete other tasks as assigned.
Education : High school diploma or GED and completion of a commercial (bus) driving training program.
Experience : Six months of on-the-job training in a Transit Department or six months experience operating public transportation vehicles or school buses
Licensing & Other Requirements : Oregon Commercial Drivers License - Class B with passenger endorsement and air brake endorsement, or the ability to obtain license and endorsements within 6 weeks of hire. Ability to pass post-offer background check, including driving history, and job-related physical required.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of the safe and efficient operation of the Transit Department’s coaches and vans
- Thorough knowledge of the safety standards and practices of the operation of the city’s coaches and vans
- Ability to learn and implement city procedures, regulations, and requirements with respect to procurement, safety, operations, and organization
- Ability to effectively use oral and written communication in the performance of duties and responsibilities.
- Ability to use independent judgment and make decisions without direct supervision.
- Ability to develop and maintain defensive driving skills and operate a transit bus in a safe and efficient manner, as demonstrated during training period.
- Ability to report to work regularly and on time.
- Ability to work with the public in a variety of situations while performing several tasks simultaneously and to treat all people with sensitivity and courtesy.
Working Environment: Work is performed in the field, operating the bus, regardless of weather conditions. The Transit Driver is exposed to noise, fumes, and road vibration. Work is also performed at the Transit Department garage.
Physical Requirements : This position could require lifting, pushing, and/or pulling up to 75 lbs. Frequent bending, stooping, and squatting. Long periods of sitting with intermittent periods of standing. The work requires lifting and guiding wheelchair riders onto the wheelchair lift and securing tie-downs for wheelchairs as well as performing routine maintenance inspections and procedures on the buses and vans.
Cognitive Functions: The Driver must maintain order and discipline on the bus while driving in a safe and appropriate manner. This position requires intense concentration and the ability to make quick judgement calls to ensure the safety of the driver and the passengers.
Tools & Equipment used : Commercial bus, van, two-way radio, and wheelchair lift.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Wilsonville’s South Metro Area Regional Transit is committed to ensuring that no person shall, on the grounds of race, color or national origin be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity in accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
City of Wilsonville, OR - 30+ days ago