Senior Process Controls Engineer
Th e Senior Process Controls Engineer is responsible for enhancing the profitability of our customers by providing state-of-the-art automation solutions primarily in the Food and Dairy industries. Projects include both retrofits and new systems involving PLC s, industrial computers, process instrumentation, project management and other control devices. This position is responsible for developing materials specification, equipment schedules and PLC and HMI p rogramming. This is accomplished by performing the following duties.
- Manages the day-to-day operational and tactical aspects of multiple small to large scale projects.
- Implements quality assurance procedures in accordance with our methodology to ensure profitable and successful execution of project as measured by goals and customer satisfaction.
- Minimizes exposure and risk across multiple projects.
- Manages scope and mitigates risk across projects.
- Define project tasks and resource requirements.
- Develop project plans.
- Manage project budget.
- Monitor and report on progress of the project to all stakeholders.
- Implement and manage project changes to achieve project deliverables.
- Performing startup tasks.
- Directing co-workers and sub-contractors
- Work with the Purchasing department to order parts.
- Maintaining good customer relationships from project conception, through design, implementation, and support.
- Develop an understanding of the process being controlled and the requirements for completion.
- Setting up, programming, modifying, and maintaining a variety of Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC), Human Machine Interfaces (HMI), Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA), and reporting applications.
- Meet or exceed profitability on the projects assigned, and assume primary responsibility for these projects.
- Team leads one to three team members in the Engineering Department based on the project assigned.
- Promote the development and implementation of company and department standards.
- Perform service calls on projects managed by you and other personnel / companies as needed.
- Stay current with industry trends. This includes keeping an eye on related web sites, reading periodicals, and attending seminars / events. This includes informing other team members on changes and problems as their responsibilities are affected.
- Train other team members on hardware, software, and methods as needed.
- Mentor Process Controls Engineers II as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Other work as assigned by manager.
- BS from 4 years College or University in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science or applied science with process controls emphasis
- 8+ years related experience with good working knowledge of fluid process control systems using PLC/PAC architecture, with at least 4 of the years in food and dairy processes
- A proven track record of completing 75% fixed jobs with labor at or below estimated time for 2 years. Individual jobs can be waived at the manager’s discretion.
Highly Skilled with:
- Complete 2 projects as project manager leading a team of 3-6 team members that the other team members had more than 80 hours of non-startup time at or below budget.
- Complete 2 projects as project manager that succeed in delivering a project at or below budget.
- Basic Skill level with:
- Windows Server 2003 or newer
- SQL Server
- Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Access & Word)
- Microsoft Windows XP & 7
- Internet Usage
- RS Logix (500, & 5000)
- RS View (ME & SE)
- Microsoft SQL (Reporting Services, SQL Agent)
- Industrial Communications with Ethernet and ControlNet or DeviceNet.
- Skills verified by:
- Pass RS Trainer with total test score of 85% or better for:
- FactoryTalk View ME – Applications and Displays
- RSLogix 5000 Software – Project Configuration
- Ethernet IP Communications and Diagnostics
- Pass Prove It with a total test score of 75% or better for
- SQL Server DBA
- Windows Server Admin
- Pass Prove It Advanced Level with 80% or better and total test score of 90% or better for
- Microsoft Excel – Whole Test
- New System and troubleshooting experience with 3 or more of the following:
- HTST (Milk or Egg)
- Advanced working knowledge of NFPA 70/NEC, UL-508A, USDA/FDA regulations. Verified by a test.
- Read, analyze and develop moderately complex technical procedures, process flow schematics, electrical, instrumentation, and pneumatic drawings, and government regulations
- Mathematical skills related to algebra, statistical inference, geometry, trigonometry, and business
- Demonstrated ability to direct others verbally and in writing
- Communicate thoughts, ideas, and other written information, which may be technical in nature, in a logical, coherent, and persuasive manner.
- Write functional specifications, sequence of operations, system install ation instructions, and department-related standards and procedures.
- Ability to troubleshoot complex electrical, instrumentation, and pneumatic systems in a timely manner.
- Operate oscilloscopes, multimeters, gauges, calibration equipment and other related measuring devices.
- Read and interpret documents, safety rules, Operating & Maintenance instructions, sequence of operations
- Lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to occasionally walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include color vision.
- Have a current driver's license.
Engineering Solutions Experts - 23 months ago