This position is responsible for providing analytical laboratory support services to various Environmental or Engineering Clients as management assigns to include performing routine analyses by standard laboratory techniques, developing or improving techniques as required to meet client’s needs, and recording/reporting data.
- Will provide laboratory and analytical services to support of other members of the Environment and Energy Department, specifically trace metals, mercury, minerals and gas analyses, performing techniques including (but not limited to) ICP-MS, UHPLC, HPLC, IC, GC-MS, LC-MS, AA, CVAA, CVAFS, and by providing field support for various testing programs as needed.
- Performs routing analyses of surface water, process water, industrial effluents, coal, ash, limestone, and various other environmental matrices.
- Resolves problems requiring the application of standard, and novel, procedures and techniques.
- Keeps laboratory stocked with reagents and chemicals needed for day-to-day operation, in addition to specialty chemicals and labware needed for the unusual needs of the client.
Requirements/ Minimum Qualifications
- Conducts routine analyses on a daily basis and unusual scientific experiments as needed.
- Assembles experimental apparatus and equipment as needed for site-specific testing needs, and prepares specific chemical solutions for such testing.
- Collects and analyzes data for review by the client, utilizing sophisticated spreadsheets and statistical analysis software.
- Exercises judgment in conducting experimental procedures, recognizing deviations from expected results, postulates possible sources of deviation, and upon confirmation notifies the appropriate client contact and work supervisor.
- Independently develops resolutions to an assortment of problems of moderately complex scope.
- Uses judgment within defined practices and procedures when possible, but also novel or modified practices and procedures within the analyst’s scope of experience to address the unique nature of the sample matrices encountered on a regular basis in addition to new matrices, which are introduced periodically.
- Performs other duties as requested by supervisor.
o Handling low-level environmental samples
- BS in Chemistry discipline (i.e. Chemistry, Environmental Chemistry, etc.) and 6 months - 2 years of related experience to include:
o Preserving / processing field samples
o Preparing samples for analysis (digestion/extraction)
o Preparing quantitative standards for calibration
o Quantitatively analyzing samples
o Reporting sample results
o Experience in ICP-MS analysis is required
- Observes appropriate and site-specific safety requirements
- Familiarity with EPA specific methodology as applicable to the electric power industry and industry-specific methodology regarding analytical techniques and standards, and familiarity with standard wastewater and process water analytical techniques.
- Ability to recognize when current practice or procedure is inappropriate for requested analysis and the ability to modify such practices or procedures in a scientifically sound manner as to obtain defensible, reliable, accurate and precise data to meet the client’s immediate needs.
Customer Focus : Makes customers and their needs a primary focus of one�s actions; developing and sustaining productive customer relations.
Contributes to Team Success : Actively participates as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of goals.
Builds Trust : Interacting with others in a way that gives them confidence in one�s intentions and those of the organization.
Results Achievement : Takes prompt action to accomplish objectives; takes action to achieve goals beyond what is required; is proactive.
Safety Awareness : Identifies and corrects conditions that affect employee safety; upholds safety standards.