POSTING TYPE: External - Open Competitive
HOURS: Intermittent - Part time, varies (not to exceed 14 hours per week)
HIRING RANGE: $7.50 per hour (T-00 DBM Level)
LOCATION: Various throughout Dakota County
CLOSE DATE: 4:30 p.m. on Friday, January 31, 2013
To sort, place and maintain library materials in the correct location so that materials may be retrieved by patrons and staff, and to assist in preparing library materials for use.
Duties & Responsibilities:
These examples do not include all possible tasks in this work and do not limit the assignment of related tasks in any position of this classification. Regular attendance according to the position's management approved work schedule is required for all positions.
1. Accurately shelve materials according to department guidelines.
2. Sets up carts in preparation for shelving. Where appropriate empties returned materials from carts and sorts onto shelves in circulation workroom.
3. Reads shelves to assure that books and materials are maintained in the proper location.
4. Helps maintain a neat and orderly library appearance by picking up books and materials from tables and shelves. Performs clean-up duties at closing.
5. Shifts books and materials during the shelving process and for specials projects as directed.
6. Empties book drop.
7. Searches shelves for items on computer-generated lists; files customer hold items.
8. Installs security system markers in materials
9. Performs related work as apparent or assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Duties 1-6 are essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities and Work Environment:
This specification is an example of the kinds of functions performed by incumbents in this class and may not include all possible tasks in this work.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work is performed within the County Library system. Operation of office equipment such as personal computers, telephone, adding machine, photocopier and fax machines. Lifting requirement of up to 25 pounds on an occasional basis, frequent lifting, bending, reaching, pulling and/or pushing book carts, exerting force up to 50 pounds.
- Knowledge of alphabetical and Dewey decimal classification system.
- Ability to maintain cooperative working relationships with fellow employees
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to handle heavy book carts and boxes.
- Ability to work independently.
SELECTION PROCESS: The examination/selection process for this classification will consist of a rating of your training and experience from the application materials submitted. The top scoring candidates will be forwarded to the hiring department for further consideration.
Dakota County Employee Relations
Main Number 651.438.4435 (contact 8 a.m - 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday)