About Whirlpool Corporation
Whirlpool is the industry leader in the manufacturing and marketing of home appliances. Whirlpool is a global company and markets Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air, Amana, Brastemp, Bauknecht, Consul and other major brand names in more than 170 countries around the world.
Whirlpool is a company that creates innovative solutions and products to meet consumer needs. As a result, we have been recognized as one of the world's 100 most innovative companies by Business Week magazine and the Boston Consulting Group. Additionally, Whirlpool Corporation was ranked among the Top 20 Innovators in Consumer Products by The Patent Board and has been consistently ranked as one of the Top 20 Companies for Leaders by Hewitt Associates and Fortune magazine.
Our unique business strategy provides us with an unmatched leadership position and ability to build and sustain loyalty to our brands. Our strategy allows us to move with greater speed to better serve our trade customer and end consumers around the globe.
Currently, we are seeking qualified candidates for a User Experience Internship during the summer of 2013. The individual will be part of our Global Consumer Design organization located at our headquarters in Benton Harbor, Michigan. The internship is a paid position with salary and partial benefits.
Day to Day Internship Focus
This summer, the internship will focus on the sensorial experience of our products. Just like kicking the tires on a new car, it is important that our products provide a high level of perceived quality. Knobs, buttons, doors, drawers and other physical touchpoints can be optimized to provide a pleasurable sensation when used. This requires us to examine the haptic, visual, or aural feedback of the components.
We are seeking an individual to partner with our sensorial researchers. Together, you will run a series of user studies and investigations to learn about how people perceive various new designs. You will help analyze data and craft recommendations that our engineering teams can use to select or fine-tune components.
As a smaller side project, we will ask interns to collaborate on defining the user experience for a new project. This may be an ongoing business initiative or an independent department exploration. This opportunity often allows the intern to partner with other talented designers to get a sense of our typical work culture. Activities may include concept generation, user interface design, or usability evaluations.
What You Need To Succeed
- Enrolled in a graduate degree program in Human Factors, Interaction Design, Psychology, or a related discipline.
- Coursework in human performance, cognitive psychology, visual interaction design, technical communication, or statistics and experimental design.
- Knowledge of hardware product design, ergonomics, and anthropometrics.
- Knowledge of user-centered design practices, e.g., user needs analysis, participatory design, and usability testing.
- Practice designing, planning, conducting, and interpreting results from behavioral research experiments.
- Experience with multivariate statistical analysis (regression, factor analysis, etc) preferred. Experience using statistical tools like SPSS, SAS, or JMP desired.
- Competent written and oral communication and presentation skills.
Please apply online by submitting your resume with a history of your educational, professional experiences and references. We also ask that that you submit a letter of interest explaining why this particular internship fits your background and future career goals.
We look forward to hearing from you and send best wishes completing this semester of studies.
With brand names recognized by just about anyone who has ever separated dark colors from light, Whirlpool is one of the world's top...