Perform surgical and operating room duties as assigned according to established policies and procedures to assist the surgeon and other health care team members in providing effective surgical care. |
Education, Experience and Skills Requirements
Must be a graduate of an approved school of surgical technology. Experience in an operating room setting is required. Must have a good knowledge of anatomy, physiology, medical and surgical terminology, instrumentation, aseptic techniques, and surgical procedures acquired through post-secondary training.
Certification as a Surgical Technologist is preferred. Must be on the North Dakota Board of Nursing Unlicensed Assistive Personnel Registry at the time employment begins (if previously on the registry). If registry status has not been held in the past, it must be achieved within four months from the date of initial employment.
Job Specific Competencies
- Prepares necessary supplies and instrumentation, under the direction of the circulating nurse, for specific procedures in a timely manner according to established policies and pecifications of the attending surgeon.
- Assists the operating team as needed, utilizing effective skills and knowledge of surgical procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned or needed.
- Interacts with customers in a warm and friendly way.
- Takes immediate action to meet customer requests or needs.
- Listens to understand what customers have to say.
- Recognizes safety hazards and takes corrective action; seeking assistance when needed.
- Demonstrates knowledge of operational policies and procedures.
- Performs work safely, without causing harm or risk to self, others or property.
- Makes a decision considering the impact of the decision on other areas.
- Initiates collaboration with others outside of service area.
- Demonstrates personal commitment to the principles, values, and ethics of the organization.
- Models accountability for learning by sharing knowledge and learning from others.
- Builds effective working relationships.
- Expresses appreciation to others for their work.
- Treats others with respect.
- Demonstrates both knowledge and application of Sanford policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Facilitates and supports change within the Sanford Health.
- Demonstrates commitment to continuous learning for themselves and staff.
Information Management Competencies
- Demonstrates skill in accessing, preparing and using information as relevant to position.
- Verbalizes and demonstrates knowledge of procedures for maintaining security, confidentiality and integrity of employee, patient, family and other medical information.
- Demonstrates skill in use of equipment relevant to position; verbalizes knowledge of appropriate safety procedures.
- Diagnoses equipment problems; fixes or seeks out someone to fix.
- Consistently informs appropriate person of problems encountered with repairs or calibration of equipment.
Age Related Competencies
- Applies knowledge of growth and development in customer interactions and adapts care according to patient's age/developmental stage.
- This position is classified as a Category I position under OSHA guidelines with high risk of exposure to bloodborne pathogens and other potentially infectious materials.
View Physical Requirements
Sanford Health - 13 months ago