The Event Planning Manager assists customers with planning event needs for Select Service & Extended Stay (SS & ES) properties. The position oversees the administrative processes associated with the pre-event and post-event phases of an event and the associated transitions between all event phases. The Event Planning Manager ensures a seamless turnover from sales to operations and back to sales while consistently delivering a high level of service. The incumbent also maximizes revenue opportunities by up-selling and accurately forecasting (catering and group rooms) of all events. The position is responsible for achieving guest and associate satisfaction and meeting team revenue and booking goals.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED; 2 years experience in the sales and marketing, guest services, front desk, or related professional area.
- 2-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Marketing, Hotel and Restaurant Management.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
- Knowledge of F&B, menu planning, food presentation, and banquet and event service operations.
- Broad understanding of facility management including ability to manage guest room and meeting space inventories.
- Knowledge of overall hotel operations as they affect each particular hotel which they are planning events for.
- Knowledge of Event Technology products and services.
- Hospitality Management Degree beneficial.
The following are specific responsibilities and contributions critical to the successful performance of the position:
- Coordinate and communicate verbally and in writing with customer (internal and external) regarding event details. Follow up with customer post-event.
- Act as liaison between the Sales Office sales person and customer throughout the event process (pre-event, event, post-event). Make availability known to customer at all times during this process. Solve problems and/or suggest alternatives to previous arrangements.
- Oversee customer experience from file turnover through the post event phase until turnover back to Business Development.
- Manage group room blocks and meeting space, produce Banquet Event Orders, order food, and actualize groups.
- Turn over event to the on-property operations team for the execution of details.
- Adhere to all standards, policies, and procedures.
- Integrate current trends in event management and event design.
Sales and Revenue Management
- Set a positive example for guest relations.
- Interact with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service levels. Effectively respond to and handle guest problems and complaints, as appropriate.
- Ensure associates understand expectations and parameters.
- Actively solicit feedback from the hotel departments to identify areas for improvement to enhance the Event Planner's experience.
- Review event results and customer feedback. Participate in the development and implementation of corrective action plans.
- Emphasize guest satisfaction and focuses on continuous improvement.
- Effectively up sell products and services throughout the pre-event phase.
- Effectively manage customer budgets to maximize revenue and meet customer needs.
- Accurately forecast group sleeping rooms and event revenue (catering and audio-visual) for assigned groups.
- Performs other duties as assigned to meet business needs.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture.
Feb 7, 2013, 2:36:32 PM
Marriott International, Inc., is a leading lodging and hospitality company that develops, operates, and franchises hotels, corporate housing...