A client of ours in Baltimore is looking for Software Engineer/Analysts for contract (potential hire) opportunities.
The Software Engineer/Analyst is responsible for the creation, implementation, maintenance, performance, production support and documentation of various departmental and enterprise wide mainframe, mid-range, and client-server based systems. This includes but is not limited to the installation, modification, and testing of new and/or upgraded applications (packages or home grown), operating systems, file structures, hardware, communication devices, and productivity tools. This position applies analysis techniques and procedures to gather and then translate business requirements into functional/technical specifications and designs. The Software Engineer/Analyst creates functional/technical specifications and designs, produces all or part of the deliverables or oversees the work of programmer/analysts who complete the work. This position may incorporate focused, internal R&D to determine an optimal solution and will participate in business and technical planning.
The Software Engineer/Analyst will participate in the development and support of administrative and educational/academic computing initiatives. He/she will be assigned to the records and registration module of the system. This includes developing custom extensions, integration methods and investigating and addressing issues for the system. The Software Engineer/Analyst performs a major role in the planning, development, implementation and support of centrally-managed systems which support the academic mission. The job includes information technology problem definition and resolution and also requires the individual to participate in the formulation of procedures and accountability controls as they relate to the functional areas under study. These duties are both highly diversified and specialized, governed generally only by broad instructions and dependent upon the individual's own comprehensive analysis and judgment. This includes developing code fixes and workarounds as well as articulating issues to other IT staff and vendors. The Software Engineer/Analyst will write code, meet with clients to gather requirements, work within and adhere to scheduled timelines and development methodologies, participate in peer code reviews, author documentation and conduct formal testing. Work assignments range from routine maintenance and support of the system to design and development for new projects to participating in the definition of strategic directions for technology initiatives. The Software Engineer/Analyst will be expected to take ownership of highly complex technical challenges for the system.
The Software Engineer/Analyst will act as secondary support investigating and resolving issues for a room and resource scheduling system. The Software Engineer/Analyst will also assist other module teams as workload necessitates. The Software Engineer/Analyst is expected to stay abreast of technologies that are relevant to his/her daily duties through formal training programs or independent study, as well as to explore new technologies that would benefit the organization or its initiatives.
Work Environment/Hours of Coverage:
Due to the very technical nature of the work, the Software Engineer/Analyst needs to be able to adapt to changes in technology and environment quickly and easy, as well as serve as a change agent in promoting change among colleagues within the organization and its user communities. Projects are often demanding and may impose aggressive timelines.
Randstad Technologies is an EOE-M/F/V/D and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Randstad Holding nv, a $22.5 billion global provider of HR services and the second largest staffing organization in the world.
- Bachelor's degree required. Five years related experience required, including experience with computer systems and applications. Additional experience may substitute for education and additional education may substitute for experience.
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge of, and demonstrable experience with, Microsoft SQL Server (including T-SQL), SQL, Visual Basic, VB.NET or C#, Active Server Pages (ASP)/ASP.NET, COM/COM+, XML/XSL; report development experience with SQL Reporting Services (preferred).
- Experience with student information systems or university administrative systems is highly desirable; implementing and customizing/extending a vendor-provided solution; .Net, Java, PHP, or other web technologies is a plus.
- Understanding of and experience with the full software development lifecycle as well as systems analysis theory and practice. Experience with user interface design, usability and accessibility concepts.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and ability to interact effectively with functional and technical communities.
Randstad Technologies - 10 months ago
Randstad US is a wholly owned subsidiary of Randstad Holding nv, an $18.8 billion global provider of HR services and the second largest staf...