The Registered Nurse in the Preadmission Testing area assesses patients requiring presurgical testing and establishes a plan to process these patients. The nurse orders, collects, collates, and evaluates the testing results in a timely, organized fashion.
- Assists patients/families to their assigned patient care area.
- Keeps families/patients posted regarding procedure, time frames, conditions, etc.
- Explains procedures/activities to patient and families.
- Maintains confidentiality of records and protects the privacy of the patient.
- Organizes patient care and scheduling to maximize efficiency and minimize waiting.
- Assesses the patient preoperatively for actual and potential problems according to AORN Standards and recommended practices and initiates appropriate nursing interventions.
- Can prioritize needs of patient preoperatively.
- Possesses knowledge to investigate abnormality and check for further testing preoperatively or need to cancel surgery through physician assistance.
- Verbalizes understanding of cardiac, respiratory, neurological, hematological and GI/Endocrine diseases.
- Demonstrates ability to give explanation of surgical procedures. Obtains additional information, as needed.
- Has knowledge to offer patient choices in anesthesia per guidelines set by the anesthesia department.
- Verbalizes understanding of types of anesthesia and patients who are candidates for each type.
- Demonstrates understanding of anesthetic agents.
- Documents any possible problems to anesthesia.
- Conducts patient teaching to prepare patient for day of surgery.
- Demonstrates ability to provide initial postoperative teaching.
- Coordinates with other team members and other departments to complete patients pre-testing visit in a timely manner.
- Graduate of an accredited nursing program.
- Bachelor of Science preferred.
- At least one your of surgery, general medical/surgical nursing required.
- Current state RN license required.
- BLS certification required.
Catholic Health Initiatives and its organizations are Equal Opportunity Employers.
- Demonstrates a commitment to service, organization values and professionalism through appropriate conduct and demeanor at all times
- Adheres to and exhibits our core values:
: Having a profound spirit of awe and respect for all creation, shaping relationships to self, to one another and to God and acknowledging that we hold in trust all that has been given to us.
: Moral wholeness, soundness, uprightness, honesty and sincerity as a basis of trustworthiness.
: Feeling with others, being one with others in their sorrows and joys, rooted in the sense of solidarity as members of the human community.
: Outstanding achievement, merit, virtue; continually surpassing standards to achieve/maintain quality.
- Maintains confidentiality and protects sensitive data at all times
- Adheres to organizational and department specific safety standards and guidelines
- Works collaboratively and supports efforts of team members
- Demonstrates exceptional customer service and interacts effectively with physicians, patients, residents, visitors, staff and the broader health care community
ND-Devils Lake-Mercy Hospital
Scheduled Hours per 2-week Pay Period
Catholic Health Initiatives - 23 months ago
For Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI), returning sick people to good health is more than a business -- it's a mission. Formed in 1996...