Purchasing Agent I - Hach Compay Ames, Iowa
HACH COMPANY (www.hach.com) is a world leader in the manufacture and distribution of analytical instruments, test kits and reagents for testing the quality of water, aqueous solutions and air. Our products are designed specifically for quality, accuracy, and simplicity. Strengthened by our sister companies in the environmental industry worldwide, our goal for the future is to continue to provide customers with reliable instrumentation, accurately prepared reagents, proven methods, simplified procedures and outstanding technical support.
We offer an environment that is team-centered, customer-driven, quality-focused, and growth-oriented. As a recognized global leader in the industry, we have enjoyed strong, consistent growth year over year. Working at Hach will provide you the opportunity for robust career development.
Purpose of Position:
Purchasing Agent I is responsible for overall supply chain and vendor management activities. This includes establishing and maintaining sourcing relationships with emphasis on quality, delivery and cost. In addition responsibilities will include helping to define, develop and refine the purchasing system to meet the needs of internal and external customers.
- Actively engages with assigned operation cell and provides a high level of responsiveness and communication as it pertains to supply chain needs.
- Establishes and maintains supply system as assigned to ensure uninterrupted supply of required materials.
- Maintains open lines of communication with suppliers for prompt resolution of quality or delivery problems.
- Initiates and leads face to face meetings and conference calls with supplier as necessary.
- Maintains high degree of knowledge about commodity suppliers and market conditions to support quality, delivery, and cost targets; conducts research to understand overall supply market dynamics and makes independent decisions on procurement matters.
- Places and maintains purchase orders to support ongoing material supply including long-term contracts.
- Understands and appropriately manages inventory for new product, transitioning and discontinued product lines.
- Provides timely communications to all internal team members on the status of any supplier quality or delivery problems.
- Demonstrates effective problem-solving skills by working independently and engaging appropriate cross functional teams to address vendor/part issues.
- Takes part in Quarterly Business Reviews with key suppliers; works with the cross-functional team to establish agenda and compile performance data and analyze against established service level agreements.
- Works with Commodity Management to identify re-sourcing and cost-reduction opportunities
- Works with Planning team to establish Supply Chain forecasts for critical parts and suppliers.
- Maintains supply system database for proper sourcing, procurement lead-times, order quantities, prices and internal delivery requirements.
- Monitors supplier performance and holds supplier accountable for performance levels by issuing Corrective Actions, providing consistent and timely feedback to suppliers on performance levels and areas for improvement.
- Manages purchase price variance metrics.
- Develops internal action plans to address chronic supplier issues.
- Structures new items within the system as required supporting new product development.
Education, Background, and Skill Requirements
Salaried / Professional:
All external hiring is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment drug screen, physical testing and a complete background check which could include credit history.
- BA/BS degree (concentration in transportation/logistics, business or other relevant area) plus 2 - 4 years experience in the purchasing field as a Buyer, Purchasing Specialist II or total work experience equivalent.
- In-depth knowledge of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems, including MRP, inventory management, and planning systems.
- APICS (CPIM) and/or NAPM (C.P.M.) certification preferred and required within 2 years of acceptance of position.
- Knowledge of supplier relationships, contract negotiations, JIT/demand flow philosophies, and legal issues involved with purchasing required.
Hach is an equal opportunity employer.
Danaher Corporation designs, manufactures, and markets professional, medical, industrial, and consumer products, which all generate approximately $13 Billon in revenue. Danaher’s business activities encompass four reporting segments and are comprised of six strategic platforms: Medical Technologies, Professional Instrumentation (Environmental, Electronic Test), Industrial Technologies (Motion, Product ID, and Focused Niche Businesses) and Tools & Components (Mechanic’s Hand Tools). Danaher operates globally with about 50% of its revenues derived from outside the United States. The Company has significant operating businesses headquartered in Europe and has greatly expanded its operating presence in Asia over the past several years. Danaher is a well-capitalized business, which has historically used available cash flow to fund acquisition activity. Culturally, the company operates in a highly de-centralized model with an extremely lean corporate structure. Danaher has a proven system for achieving performance: the Danaher Business System (DBS). It drives every aspect of the group’s culture and performance. DBS is a system of continuous improvement and is used to guide and measure everyday activities, which has enabled it to double in size about every 5-years with impressive financial performance.
Supply Chain / Logistics
North America-United States-IA-Ames
Danaher is a well-diversified industrial and medical conglomerate whose products test, analyze, and diagnose. Its subsidiaries design,...