Associates get the royal treatment at Garmin. Regardless if you’re a newbie or a veteran, engineers dream it, design it and use it. Here, you will be surrounded by others who share the same passion about what they do every day. We offer a relaxed team environment (no dress code!) where advancement is found from sharing knowledge, not hiding it! While we promise you a lot of responsibility, you also will have the opportunity to have ownership over projects…oh, and we promise you there will be some fun mixed in there, too!
Not only is Garmin the leader in all-things GPS, but, if selected as a project manager you’ll be the leader of multiple projects and/or programs, driving accountability of project teams, facilitating design decisions and successfully delivering engineering projects on-time. Our project managers use their knowledge of complex business processes to keep everything in their project portfolio flowing. If organization and leading are your strong points, we need to coordinate a meeting.
We are looking for a full time Engineering Project Manager 1 for our Automotive OEM team at our headquarters in Olathe, Kansas. In this role, you’ll provide project management and coordination for small to mid-sized projects between project team and other departments in the development of Garmin products.
This includes learning and applying project management skills within small to mid-size projects or sub-projects, seeking input from mentor and/or supervisor as needed, supporting provision and timely documentation of clear project scope [i.e. detailed assumptions, requirements (internal, external, regulatory), objectives/targets, validation needs, resource estimates, costs, and timing] and communicating with team members/stakeholders to ensure awareness of project scope, milestones, main points of contact, repositories, and tools specific to the assigned tasks/project(s).
Other key essential functions include:
You’ll also work collaboratively and professionally in a team environment and shares information freely with other Garmin associates to achieve goals, ensuring buy-in from key stakeholders in decision making process, accept and act on constructive criticism, identify and resolve defects of basic scope using proper engineering tools and techniques, and understand Garmin’s Mission, Vision, Values and Quality Policy and enthusiastically exhibit a desire to see Garmin succeed.
- Support creation and maintenance of basic timelines and milestone tracking and open action/issues lists
- Drives assigned project elements to closure and uses good judgment in determining when to escalate issues above mentor or direct supervisor
- May lead small or mid-sized projects or sub-projects including estimating level of effort for project management tasks
- Learns reporting formats and understands level of detail necessary to ensure accurate project reporting
- Distributes project documentation (e.g. reports, meeting minutes, emails, etc) in a timely manner to appropriate distribution lists
- Learns interdependencies of and ability to develop good relationships between the development team(s), other Garmin teams/departments and external entities (e.g. customers, suppliers, etc)
- Learns product domain (e.g. knowledge of storage memory required for product features, etc)
- Actively participates in effective/efficient team meetings and may lead depending on assigned tasks/project(s)
- Effectively creates, processes and releases GPNs, BOMs and ECOs within established processes
- Learns and understands established processes and demonstrates ability to complete well defined tasks and/or projects
- Learns how to use and apply engineering and project management tools specific to project segment and relevant for performing the essential functions of this job description
- Thoroughly documents work in an organized manner
A Bachelor of Science degree in a technical discipline from a four-year college or university with a cumulative minimum 3.0 GPA or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required for this role. Qualified candidates will demonstrate strong and effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills, possess a demonstrated ability to learn how to use and apply engineering and project management tools, and must be team-oriented, possess a positive attitude and work well with others.
Other required skills include:
Candidates with experience working in an automotive environment, experience working with embedded and/or mobile products, DOORS knowledge and/or experience, and/or experience with CMMI or Automotive SPICE are preferred.
- Excellent time management, organizational and follow-up skills
- Ability to deal with confidential company matters
- Computer skills in MS Office Suite (Microsoft Word, Excel, Project, and Powerpoint) or similar
At Garmin, we like to laugh, have fun and work hard. It comes easily when you work on cool products with hard-working individuals who share the same passion. We offer numerous opportunities to get involved – kickball anyone? – and believe strongly in a work-life balance so your creativity can flow.
Garmin offers one of the most comprehensive compensation and benefit plans around. We offer extensive health care coverage with little to no contributions, depending on the plan. Plus, we offer company-paid dental insurance, stock options, a 401k plan, a pension plan….trust us, it doesn’t get much better than this. Unless of course, you want to talk table tennis, fitness spaces, product discounts….come on, what are you waiting for? Apply today.
Garmin - 2 years ago
"Dreaming big and obsessing about the details.” It’s a dynamic philosophy that has taken Garmin from a start-up GPS...