Location: Mt. Vernon, OH - US
The Senior Environmental, Health, and Safety Specialist leads the safety culture and supports the environmental function within a High Performance Organization (HPO) of the Mt. Vernon site. The successful candidate in this role works on implementation of critical processes, programs, and procedures to achieve goals, objectives, and continuous improvement related to environment, health and safety. The Senior EH&S Specialist must spend significant time on the plant floor, engaging and coaching employees, front-line leaders, maintenance, and contractors on a daily basis. As an integral part of the plant leadership team, the Senior EHS Specialist will provide information and guidance for activities relating to the site-wide safety and operating objectives. This position reports directly to the Plant Manager, with functional dotted line reporting to the Senior Safety Leader for their region.
The Senior EHS Specialist, collaborating with existing leadership will:
- Ensure that all permit terms and conditions are met with a compliance calendar or other formal tool. This will include oversight of or actually performing such activities as routine sampling, reporting, recordkeeping, and auditing.
- Report all environmental nonconformities within 7 days through the appropriate channels
- Develop skills and grow capabilities in the assigned facility, including:
- Coach, mentor, and guide plant leadership from a safety perspective
- Conduct training programs in a coordinated effort with appropriate plant personnel
- Continually reinforce the company’s stand on safety and always recognize employee accomplishments and contributions
- Identify at-risk conditions from incident investigations, trend data, collaboration with employees, and new equipment design review, and apply appropriate hazard analysis methodologies to these conditions
- Establish and accomplish aggressive personal, and facility goals that align with division and Owens Corning corporate goals. These goals must reflect our commitment to enhancing our safety culture and achieving a world-class safety management process.
- Participate as a member of the site’s leadership team and drive company-wide and Business Unit EHS initiatives at the site.
- Implement OC safety programs/standards and site-specific safety programs designed to reduce employee injuries and illnesses and improve site productivity.
- Ensure that occupational illnesses and injuries are immediately reported, thoroughly investigated (root cause analysis) and promptly addressed, consistent with corporate and BU standards and requirements.
- Bachelors degree in any field related to EH&S, such as industrial hygiene, engineering, science or equivalent experience
- 2 years safety leadership experience preferred. Floor experience is highly desired.
- Hands-on safety leadership experience in a manufacturing environment
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of health and safety regulations and industrial hygiene protocols
- Ability to identify gaps and develop appropriately prioritized action plans
- Ability to effectively engage primary employees
- Ability to promote a team environment and must be able to initiate, lead and drive cross-functional team projects to successful completion
- Adept at delivering safety training
- Team Orientated: Has no hesitation to help the plant team by doing work outside of normal job responsibilities in order to meet customer and plant expectations
- Ability to travel 5-10%
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning has touched your life in more ways than you know. From composites found in the automotive industry to innovative roofing products to energy-efficient insulation, our products play a role in thousands of applications worldwide. Founded in 1938, Owens Corning is the market-leading innovator of glass-fiber technology with sales of $5.3 billion in 2011, and we are preparing to celebrate our 75th anniversary in 2013. A Fortune® 500 company for 58 consecutive years, our cutting-edge innovations continue to enhance lives and the communities in which we live, work and play. From our headquarters in Toledo, Ohio, we have a global presence with about 15,000 employees spanning 28 countries reaching across five continents. Discover Owens Corning opportunities that will transform your career today. Additional information is available at www.owenscorning.com .
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.
Owens Corning operates in the PINK. Famous for its Pink Panther mascot and its trademarked PINK glass fiber insulation, the company is a top...