Possess current RN’s license to practice in the state of Alabama.
Effectively demonstrates the application of adult specific competencies, outlined below, to be attained within six (6) months of employment:
• Knowledge of psychiatric disorders in the adult population
• Knowledge of general and psychiatric nursing care
• Basic knowledge of medical terminology associated with adult psychiatric care
• Familiarity of psychopharmacology and the use of psychotropic medications with the adult population
• Knowledge of behavior management, crisis intervention and, interventions common to acute psychotic consumers as well as to non-violent crisis intervention practice
• Knowledge of educational methods appropriate to adults with severe and persistent psychiatric disorders
• Knowledge of cultural diversity
• Knowledge of psychiatric rehabilitation principles
• Successful completion of Medication Assistance Supervision (MAS)
• Knowledge of DMH/NDP program standards
• Knowledge of utilizing electronic health record
Primary Job Functions:
1. Clinical Responsibilities:
a. Administers medications, observing the Seven Rights of medication administration. Monitors consumers for potential side effects of medications and report findings to the physician
b. Provides medication education for the consumer and family, including uses and potential side effects.
c. Reviews MARs daily to ensure appropriate medication management which includes timely refills and any necessary arrangements with medical staff for new prescriptions
d. Identifies psychiatric and medical needs and communicates effectively with the physicians to include completing of consults and taking off any orders.
e. Observes consumers behavior in groups and activities, interacts with consumers and evaluate needs to ensure that proper information is reported from shift to shift
f. Interfaces with the multi-disciplinary team and actively and cooperatively participates in development of the interdisciplinary treatment plan
g. Monitors laboratory results and reports all abnormal findings to the physician
h. Demonstrates the ability to recognize the elements of a crisis state and knows how to deescalate or resolve the situation, including providing emergency care as needed (CPR, MindSet, PRN Medications)
i. Conducts infection control training for consumers
j. Ongoing compliance with Nurse Delegation Program, including recertification requirements, including taking MAS call
k. Assists consumers with personal care issues (bathing, toileting, and other personal hygiene issues)
Physical Requirements of the Job:
• There is frequent standing while getting files, paperwork, and handing out medication.
• Sitting is frequent by nature and up to 5-10 minutes; however, extended sitting could be up to 1.5 to 3 hours for documentation.
• Walking various distances on grounds can be frequent and up to 300 feet to dispense medication.
• Squatting and/or lunging frequently to stock supplies and retrieve needed material from file cabinets and book shelves.
• Strong grasp is needed to handle large carts while retrieving consumer files from the Zeigler Outpatient building and lighter grasp is needed for stocking supplies which requires a force exertion of up to 10 pounds.
• Fine manipulation for writing, handling paperwork, and dispensing medications to consumers.
• Pushing and/or pulling force up to 1-5 pounds force, horizontally, to open file cabinets and place binders on book shelves.
• Lifting various ranges from the floor to overhead with weights up to 1-5 pounds frequently.
• Must lift 40-50lbs floor to waist occasionally to frequent.
• Any other duties as assigned by supervisor.
AltaPointe Health Systems, Inc. - 18 months ago
AltaPointe Health Systems, Inc. oversees a community-based, regional system of mental health, substance abuse and intellectual disability...