GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES - Assist physicians in performing nurse procedures for the comfort and well being of patients. Interview patients and take medical history, give injections, complete lab and x-ray requests, keep charts current, and screen calls within physician guidelines. Administer prescribed medications and simple treatment as directed by physician or mid-level practitioner.
DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
1. Greeting patients and preparing them for examination or procedure. Recording health history of patient and noting abnormal conditions for physician. Instructing patients on collection of any necessary samples and tests. Obtaining vital signs and escorting patients to rooms.
2. Assisting with the preparation of supplies and equipment and aiding the physician or mid-level practitioner during treatment, examination, and testing of patients.
3. Giving injections, administering prescribed medications as directed by physician and in accordance with nursing standards. Observing, recording, and reporting patient's condition and reaction to drugs and treatments to physicians.
4. Ensuring that patient chart entries are made accurately and in a timely matter and forwarding charts as appropriate. Maintaining patient files, records, and other information.
5. Assisting with scheduling of tests and treatments. Arranging referrals to a specialist and obtaining pre-authorizations when directed to by the provider.
6. Collecting, documenting, and delivering lab specimens and obtaining lab test results and other reports.
7. Notifying patients of test results and follow-up appointments.
8. Cleaning and restocking exam/treatment rooms between procedures.
9. Following clinic policies for infection control in handling and disposing of infectious/hazardous waste materials.
10. Instructing patient and family regarding medications and treatment and discharge instructions.
11. Assisting the provider with physical exams and in preparing for physicals.
12. Contacting pharmacy to order prescriptions and notifying patients.
13. Keeping an accurate and up to date inventory of medications and monitoring controlled substances.
14. Controlling inventory and monitoring the use of supplies.
15. Maintaining up to date stock and monitoring and maintaining medical equipment.
16. Responding to and screening telephone calls for referral to nurse or physician. Triaging patients to ensure productive departmental flow.
17. Performing limited X-ray procedures if certified, currently enrolled in an approved radiological education course, or a graduate of an approved course awaiting examination.
18. Practice and adhere to the "Code of Conduct" philosophy and "Mission and Value Statement".
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES - This position requires the following minimal requirements:
1. Ability to provide quality patient care in accordance with applicable standards, policies, and procedures.
2. Ability to maintain the strictest patient confidentiality.
3. Ability to communicate effectively and keep a positive attitude with patients, peers, providers, employers, insurers, and family members.
4. Ability to present a positive image of the facility.
EDUCATION - High school diploma and degree from an accredited school of practical nursing are required.
EXPERIENCE - Minimum of two years experience in a hospital or clinic setting is required. One year of Occupational Medicine and/or Workers' Compensation experience is preferred.
CERTIFICATE/LICENSE - Current state license is required. BAT Technician, Audiometric Technician, Spirometry Technician, and Limited X-ray certifications are preferred.