Field Operations Intern
Moses Lake, WA
The J.R. Simplot Company is a diverse, privately held organization with roots firmly planted in agriculture and agriculture-related businesses. These endeavors have been around for centuries and will continue to be a vital part of the global economy. We currently have a Field Operations Internship opportunity available in the field department at our potato processing plant in Moses Lake, Washington.
Field Operations Interns work for and support the Food Group Field Operations Raw Procurement Manager, Field Representative, and Raw Planner/Scheduler in the area of supporting the procurement of potatoes and associated activities. This intern will work full time during the summer and up to 20 hours per week during the school year.
This internship may continue for up to three months after graduation to allow for project/assignment completion.
- Under the direction of the Raw Procurement Manager or Field Representatives, this intern will participate in crop sampling for field quality and inputting data into the Crop Progress Data Systems; field observations during the growing season; coordinating field sampling and grading for samples; storage monitoring; assisting with harvest activities during fall harvest; and working with growers.
- Computer input of crop progress application tracking, field observation reports, and other spreadsheet reports, and providing reports to the Raw Procurement Manager and the Food Group Leadership Team.
- Assist the Raw Planner/Scheduler with projects/special assignments as directed to support production operations.
- Support manufacturing operations as it relates to raw product.
- Currently enrolled in a four-year program at an accredited university, or pursuing a Master’s degree.
- A degree in Agriculture, Plant Sciences, Ag Business, Food Science, or Operations Management is preferred.
- Six plus months of related experience; potato/farming experience or an understanding on potato crop development and processing quality is preferred.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must have basic computer knowledge and be proficient in MS Office programs such as Word and Excel.
- Must be able to work outdoors and lift/carry up to 50 pounds.