Ithaca College is accepting applications for a full-time Assistant Director of Residential Life for Residential Education to provide leadership and direction for the First-Year Residential Experience ( FYRE ) Program and Residential Learning Communities (RLCs) in the Department of Residential Life. Responsibilities include: Providing leadership for the expansion of FYRE to full implementation; recruiting and training of 35 Faculty/Staff Associates; ongoing development and assessment of the FYRE Program and Residential Learning Community Program; implementing the academic connections model in FYRE in collaboration with Academic Affairs; overseeing all department programming with a focus on student learning, inclusion, and community development; assessment of Residential Life student learning outcomes; serving as a member of the Residential Life and Judicial Affairs Management Team; participating in on-call duty rotation in support of 4,500 campus residents.
1. Provide leadership and direction for the First-Year Residential Experience ( FYRE ) Program to include coordinating all program expansion planning and logistics; provide training for all FYRE Residence Directors, RAs, and academic coaches in conjunction with the FYRE Area Coordinator.
2. Recruit, select and train all FYRE Faculty Associates in conjunction with the Center for Faculty Excellence; implement the FYRE curriculum, including all programming, student communication logs, and academic connection initiatives.
3. Collaborate with Academic Affairs partners regarding the Integrated Core Curriculum and Themes and Perspectives.
4. Provide leadership for FYRE large scale programs including FYRE traditions; work collaboratively with the Associate Director and Area Coordinator to implement and review all FYRE assessment initiatives.
5. Chair and provide leadership for the Residential Models Committee.
6. Provide leadership for the Residential Learning Community ( RLC ) Program to include programming, student recruitment, and staff training; recruit, select and train Faculty Fellows/Associates working in RLCs and coordinate the RLC housing selection timeline and process in conjunction with the Assistant Director for Housing Services and Communications.
7. Maintain the FYRE and RLC websites and coordinate and update all publications.
8. Oversee the development of new Residential Learning Communities. Develop and implement staff training and development programs for professional and paraprofessional residence hall staff that pertain to FYRE and Residential Learning Communities.
9. Coordinate the implementation and evaluation for all departmental community development and programming initiatives. Supervise the planning and use of Residential Life programming funds both in the central office and area budgets.
10. Provide direct supervision for the administrative assistant; recommend various personnel actions including hiring, training, merit recommendations, promotions, transfers, performance evaluations, dismissals, vacation schedules and other actions. Provide guidance and direction to student office assistants as appropriate. Provide functional supervision for the Residence Directors in FYRE .
11. Oversee the activities of the Ithaca College Residence Hall Association to include advising, training, programming, budget, recruitment, elections, funding, and administration.
12. Participate in summer orientation presentations in conjunction with the Office of First Year Programs and Orientation; develop and facilitate information sessions for parents and students for Summer Orientation and Continuing Orientation programs.
13. Serve as liaison with other campus offices in matters related to the Residential Life programs and serve on departmental, divisional and College-wide committees and boards as appropriate.
Position/Job Responsibilities continued
Master’s Degree in Higher Education, College Student Personnel, or related field and a minimum of three years full time Residential Life experience; demonstrated experience working with first-year student programs and learning communities; experience working with diverse student populations; proven supervisory and management abilities; experience developing and implementing student learning outcomes; excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills; and the ability to represent the College effectively within and outside of the College community are required.
The appointment is a twelve-month position, and compensation includes a competitive benefits package and a 5 meal/week meal plan during the academic year.
Ithaca College, a private residential college, located in the scenic Finger Lakes region of upstate New York, provides students with a unique blend of liberal arts and professional programs. Coeducational and nonsectarian, the College is an internationally known and respected institution with approximately 6,000 undergraduate students and 400 graduate students, who come to Ithaca from nearly every state and 70 countries.
The Ithaca College residence hall system houses approximately 4,500 students in 27 residence halls and two on-campus apartment areas. The staff in the Offices of Residential Life and Judicial Affairs is committed to the overall growth, development, and education of students. We are seeking candidates with a commitment to student development and a desire to be a part of a strong and dynamic Residential Life program.
Instructions for submitting your application:
Interested individuals should apply online at apply.icjobs.org, and attach a letter of interest addressed to Chair, Assistant Director of Residential Life for Residential Education, a resume, and a list containing the contact information for three professional references. Questions about the online application should be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (607) 274-8000. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. To ensure full consideration, please submit your application no later than February 22, 2013. Interviews will be held at the NASPA Placement Exchange in March 2013 and via the phone.
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.
Ithaca College - 14 months ago