The purpose of this position is to execute the International Merchandising Process for import products in the global marketplace. Incumbents in this position identify global sourcing opportunities, clarify specifications, develop, critique and inspect prototypical products, guide activities of the foreign sourcing offices, communicate with vendors, present opportunities to Lowe’s Merchandising and perform related duties as needed. Incumbents in this position also interact with other corporate departments as needed. Incumbents in this position are generally responsible for a specific group or classification of products. Travel internationally to develop product and increase product and market place knowledge.
1. Education: 4-year degree in Business or related field, with 2-3 years relevant professional experience; or High School diploma with 6-8 years relevant professional experience.
2. Technical: Knowledge of Merchandising, Logistics, Product Development and/or Global Sourcing processes for assigned categories preferred; within the Lowe’s corporate environment preferred.
3. Computer skills: Strong skills with database software very helpful. Familiarity with standard office software (word, excel, PowerPoint, and outlook) required. Prior experience with digital imaging, Microsoft Project and mainframe very helpful.
4. Effective oral and written communication skills.
5. Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
6. Excellent time management/organizational skills
Essential Job Functions:
•Must be able to squat, lift, and carry boxes up to 50 lb. for short distances.
•Must be able to assemble product samples and create Planograms using all types of Lowe’s store fixtures such as H-frame racking, beams and decking.
•Must be able to travel by private and commercial aircraft, train, auto and have valid driver’s license and passport.
•Must be able to participate in factory walk-throughs of both domestic and overseas vendor facilities.
•Must be able to read and comprehend computer screen data and printed reports.
•Must be able to comprehend mathematical computations and make independent judgments.
•Must be able to communicate orally and with written/printed reports.
•Must be able to use keyboard.
•Must be able to use typical office machines (phone, fax, copier and printer).
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Adheres to and Manages International Merchandising Process (ex: checklists, timelines, presentation materials, recap).
2. Creates, analyzes and presents program financials as they relate to International Merchandising Process.
3. Discovers and communicates opportunities for globally sourced programs. Manages global sourcing strategies for products, including but not limited to: timelines, specification development, branding, packaging, instruction manuals, graphics, product testing, display materials, financial elements, and related issues.
4. Manages the capture, documentation and communication of Merchandising’s 1-3 year import program development plan including import sales and margin budget.
5. Analyzes weekly import sales and margin performance v. budget and researches anomalies.
6. Directs the movement of specific products through the sourcing process, and maintains appropriate documentation.
7. Clarifies specifications for selected products, including ease of assembly, performance characteristics, customer appeal, adherence to safety standards, and importation challenges.
8. Interacts with foreign sourcing offices directing their efforts surrounding product development initiatives, and troubleshoot global sourcing issues, including the need for replacement parts and customer service.
9. Critiques and refines prototypical products. Ensures conformity to product specifications and design.
10. Coordinates the testing of products, including but not limited to: packaging and safety standards conformity.
11. Plan, conduct and maximize results of sourcing and trade show travel domestic and/or international.
12. Charters the development of point-of-purchase display materials, ensuring clarity, convenience and customer appeal.
13. Researches the product development and sourcing practices of corporate competitors including cost and retail pricing.
14. Recruits, directs, trains, develops, promotes, evaluates, and disciplines assigned personnel in accordance with responsibilities of their positions and to facilitate the growth and development of each subordinate. Makes interventions into the performance of subordinates through performance management, training, development, coaching, and, when required, progressive discipline process.
15. Prepares and delivers product proposal presentations to Merchandising. These presentations would include provisions for financial requirements, packaging, fixtures, store service, and other related items where needed.
16. Interacts on a regular basis with Merchandising teams concerning sourcing activities, timelines and follow-up including attending team meetings on a regular basis.
17. Negotiates product cost of sourced items, packaging and program elements.
18. Develops and maintains awareness of market related information relevant to categories of responsibility including but not limited to trade show attendance, competitive retail surveys and trade information in order to develop a strategic import development plan for assigned categories.
19. Initiates and manages meetings with cross functional product support services.
20. Analyzes weekly import financial data and makes necessary adjustments and recommendations needed to react to product movement.
21. Develop, update and communicate information surrounding all sourcing initiatives, to relevant parties; including financials, timelines and development status.
22. Develop and strengthen direct factory relationships.
With fiscal year 2011 sales of $50.2 billion, Lowe’s Companies, Inc. is a FORTUNE® 100 company that serves approximately 15 million customers a week at more than 1,745 home improvement stores in the United States, Canada and Mexico. Founded in 1946 and based in Mooresville, N.C., Lowe’s is the second-largest home improvement retailer in the world. For more information, visit Lowes.com.
Lowe's - 17 months ago
No longer a low-profile company, Lowe's Companies has evolved from a regional hardware store operator into a nationwide chain of home...