The purpose of this position is to combine design and creative ability to layout and illustrate publications and materials that support marketing, recruitment, internal and external communications, fundraising and student success.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Create graphic materials that meet both client and institutional brand objectives.
2. Use knowledge of current graphic design software to produce graphic art and visual materials for advertisements, publications brochures, posters, signs, etc.
3. Demonstrate and promote graphic design "best practices" through appropriate use of typography, photography, illustration, and page design that align with University brand standards.
4. Prepare and package electronic files for transmission and print production.
5. Assist with the aesthetics and function for online graphics and pages. Produce online publications, pages and graphics as needed.
6. Demonstrate marketing and communicating skills to perform editorial assistant duties, including the collection of articles and photos as assigned.
Essential Job Duties are intended to be examples of duties and are not intended to be all inclusive. There will be other duties as assigned. The individual holding this position will serve as a representative of the University and, as such, shall promote a positive impression by demonstrating a collegial and professional customer-service approach at all times.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Ability to be an innovative and critical thinker to conceive new approaches to evolving challenges;
Detail-oriented with an eye for visual appeal, accuracy and technical best practices;
Proficient with high-end graphic design tools including Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat Pro and illustrator;
Knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Word and PowerPoint;
Knowledge of Dreamweaver;
Ability to solve problems, prioritize tasks, manage multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously, and complete tasks accurately and with efficiency;
Ability to follow instructions and be self-directed while functioning as collaborative member of University Relations and marketing teams;
Ability to work effectively in a fast paced, team oriented institutional design environment;
Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
Knowledge of journalism and journalistic principles;
Ability to travel.
Bachelor's degree from regionally accredited institution required. One to two years of professional-level graphic arts experience. Experience in project management and portfolio presentation required.
Education substituted for experience? No
Experience substituted for education? No
Bachelor of Art or Fine Art degree preferred.
Licenses, Certifications, or Registrations
Valid driver's license
Acceptable driving record
Essential Physical Requirements
Standing: Under 1/3 of the time; walking: Under 1/3 of the time; sitting: Over 2/3 of the time; using hands: Over 2/3 of the time; talking or hearing: Up to 2/3 of the time.
This position requires no lifting
This position has the following special vision requirements:
Color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors).
Depth perception (three-dimensional vision, ability to judge distances and spatial relationships).
Ability to adjust focus (ability to adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus).
Environmental Working Conditions
Required Applicant Documents
Resume or Vitae
List of References
Special Instructions to Applicants
(The system will stop accepting applications at 12:01 a.m. August 13, 2013)
Preferred start date: August 19, 2013 or shortly thereafter.
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
University of Montevallo - 8 months ago