Under general supervision of the IT Services Operations Manager, this position will serve as a Linux Systems Administrator programmer. Information Technology Services (IT Services) provides consultation, technical expertise and support for multitier products for the Office of Research (OR) and University-wide systems. The incumbent will install, upgrade, configure, performance tune, configure applications, maintain and provide general support of UNIX/Linux operation systems, and conduct database installations. Perform long-range planning, research of system hardware and software, and computer security consulting, implementation, and investigation pursuant to the UC Davis Cyber-Safety Program; network and desktop system configuration and administration, systems programming, and database management and data analysis.
Work in confined and/or limited areas while performing various hardware installations.
Safely maneuver equipment, supplies and work in an area where there may be constant distractions.
Position requires lifting equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.
Use a keyboard and computer equipment to enter and retrieve data computer for extended periods of time.
Reach and work with equipment mounted in computer racks and access equipment that may be located anywhere from the bottom (floor level) to the top of seven-foot high racks.
Work with clients for extended periods of time.
Employee is personally responsible for following health and safety guidelines/instructions.
Work in environment with temperature, noise, and airflow parameters required for data center operations.
Work regularly scheduled hours (8am-5pm) to respond to needs of clients throughout the day.
Work occasional evenings, weekends, or holidays to maintain systems, respond to service disruptions, and emergency outages.
Due to the mission-critical services provided by this department, this position will work alternate or extended hours as needed to meet peak workloads.
Travel to and from client sites on and off campus.
Background Check Required:
This position is a critical position and subject to a background check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of background investigation including criminal history and identity checks.
- Experience with advanced system administration and computer networking including the installation, upgrade and tuning of complex applications in a UNIX/Linux operating environment, with the configuration of UNIX internals, disk file systems, devices and device drivers, and data communications.
- Experience with Linux distros such as Red Hat, Ubuntu, and SuSE.
- Experience managing and supporting multitier applications.
- Experience in risk assessment/needs analysis, disaster recovery plans, business continuity plans and procedure development and implementation.
- Detailed knowledge of the OSI communication model, TCP/IP and other network protocol internals to support complex LAN configurations and interpret packet-level intrusion detection system (IDS) logs and reports.
- Experience supporting and configuration of LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, and Perl/Python/PHP) web servers including Apache Tomcat.
- Experience with virtualization (e.g., VMWare, MS Hyper-V).
-Oral, written and excellent interpersonal communication skills to communicate effectively with all levels of faculty, staff, students, consultants, and others.
- Computing systems experience to diagnose and provide problem-analysis and effective solutions.
- Experience developing, implementing, and maintaining procedures for manual and automatic back-up of network data and programs.
- Experience administering, supporting, and troubleshooting computing server software (including, but not limited to, the current versions of Linux, Exchange Server, Systems Center Configuration Manager/Systems Center Essentials, Internet Information Server, OpenBSD, MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server) and hardware (including, but not limited to, switching equipment, SAN storage, RAID cards, wireless LAN, cabling, tape backup, storage media, and various other computing hardware devices.
- Experience administering, supporting, and troubleshooting advanced security hardware and software implementations, including hardware firewalls (OpenBSD PF, Linux IPTables, Juniper Netscreen, SonicWall, Cisco PIX, etc.), VLAN management, patch auditing software, centralized antivirus management, intrusion detection systems, secure remote access technologies (VPN, etc.), secure authentication, secure authorization, and various other security hardware and software implementations.
- Skills to write administrative scripts, utilities and programs for various purposes including automating system maintenance and configuration of the computer system, using C / KSH / BASH, VBS/WSH, awk, sed, scheduled tasks and cron jobs.
-Technical experience with relational database systems utilized in a network environment (e.g., MySQL, MS SQL Server and Oracle) and database replication, backup, recovery, and optimization techniques.
- Experience configuring, administering, debugging and support for Enterprise Tomcat and Java application services.
- Knowledge of version control tools and practices (e.g.,SVN, CVS, RCS, PVCS)
- Experience maintaining monitoring systems (e.g., Nagios, Zenoss, Cacti, MRTG, Monit, Munin).
- Experience working in a project focused environment, working on projects of various sizes, and delivering objects on time, within budget, and with a high degree of quality.
- Skills to determine the effects of program modifications on highly integrated systems.
- Knowledge of database and SQL Tuning.
- Knowledge of the Administrative Computing Policy and campus standards for the development of information systems.
- Skills in programming, knowledge and ability with Java, PERL languages and libraries.
- Experience with patch auditing software, centralized antivirus management, intrusion detection systems, secure remote access technologies, secure authentication, secure authorization, and various other security hardware and software implementations.
-Experience working effectively with broad-based constituencies and the highest levels of management.
-Demonstrated skills to create innovative solutions to difficult or unusual problems and improve methods for performing tasks.
-Experience to independently research, plan, test, document, and resolve incidents and problems as a result of software and compliance testing.
-Experience writing project proposals, reports, technology assessments, and analyses.
-Skills to absorb complex technical and conceptual information, identify key issues and details, and present understandable alternatives to both technical and non-technical individuals at all organizational levels and to a wide variety of audiences (including management).
-Experience working effectively in a service oriented team environment.
-Experience to provide technical support for supported IT Services software applications.
-Experience to support Windows and Mac OS operating systems.
Quick Link To This Position:
University of California, Davis - 9 months ago
The University of California was founded in 1868. Today it is widely considered the pre-eminent public research university system in the...