PRINCIPAL PURPOSE OF JOB:
Alcorn State University seeks to hire a Visiting Professor of Native/African-American Studies to engage in research and teach courses related to the congruence of Native and African-American cultures.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY:
The individual will teach one course each semester on Native/African-American mixed heritage, integrating issues of gender; race; ethnicity; class; and citizenship; and, will conduct research related to the development of Native American and African-American mixed cultures.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Develop and teach two courses, one each semester, on Native/African-American mixed heritage;
- Assist with curriculum development in the area of Native/African-American mixed heritage in support of specialized program of study;
- Engage in primary research of Native/African-American mixed heritage in the United States;
- Develop and present university-wide colloquia and convocations related to the research on Native/African-American heritage;
- Collaborate with university and external entities to foster cross-cultural relationships;
- Publish findings in professional journals and other appropriate media;
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Applicants must possess credentials appropriate for an academic appointment in a discipline in one of the social sciences.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
- A doctorate degree in a related field. (An ABD candidate or an individual holding a master’s degree with substantial documented experience and expertise may be considered).
- Commitment to equity and inclusiveness and ability to bring diverse perspectives and experiences to campus.
- Cultural competence and good judgment on issues related to values in higher education
- Ability to contribute in meaningful ways to the university’s continuing commitment to ethnic studies
- The ability to support the university’s commitment to diverse perspectives, equity and inclusion
- A record of scholarly research and publication
- Highly effective organizational ability
- Demonstrated ability to foster interpersonal relations
- Ability to analyze, synthesize and prioritize
1. Ability to sit at a workstation for extended periods
2. Occasional ability to lift, carry, and put away parcels weighing up to 25 pounds
3. Normal physical mobility, which includes movement from place to place on the job taking distance and speed into account
4. Occasional travel and extended work hours
World Education Network - 22 months ago