For more than 130 years, Lilly has been dedicated to meeting the health care needs of people in the United States and around the world. We address these needs primarily by developing innovative medicines—investing a higher percentage of our sales in research and development than any other major pharmaceutical company. If you are interested in being considered for employment with a “Best in Class” Pharmaceutical company, please review the following opportunity:
Principal Research Scientist - Crystallization Sciences
The Crystallization Process Laboratory (CPL) responsibilities include the identification of desirable solid-state forms, design of crystallizations to control physical properties, and the development of scaleable processes suitable for commercial scale production of active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) and intermediates. Members of the CPL may develop the crystallization processes directly or provide technical consultation to process development teams. Members serve on multidisciplinary product development teams and actively communicate across multiple functional areas including the Materials Sciences and Physical Characterization group, Preformulation Development, Formulation Development, Organic Process Chemistry, pilot plant operations, Process Development Engineering, and Manufacturing sites (internal or third party) to deliver rapid process solutions as well as provide timely solid state analytical data. The laboratory is also responsible for the design and scale-up of processes to increase the bioavailability of the API including nano-particle formation and stabilization and amorphous solid dispersions. Crystallization Process Development & Separation Provide technical leadership to Lilly Product R&D integrated drug substance and drug product development by forging effective relationships with ADME/Tox, Preformulation, and Formulation Sciences. Provide technical guidance in the implementation of new crystallization processes in development and manufacturing equipment. Design and development of continuous crystallization and isolation processes. Attend project team meetings, identify problems and provide timely solutions to impact the portfolio. Present the issues, results and project progress to the project team, line management and other business units. Direct the laboratory research and development of senior associates. Rapidly develop new crystallization processes: Design and execute laboratory crystallization experimentation in support of process definition, process optimization, and process technology transfer objectives.
Develop and utilize population balance models for batch and continuous crystallizations.
Key areas of expertise include:
- Sound understanding of heat, mass, and momentum transfer.
- Crystallization kinetics.
- Population balance modeling.
- Separations technology including filtration, drying, particle size reduction.
- Design of experiments.
- Data acquisition and control
- Process equipment selection.
1. API Crystal Form Selection (Salt & Polymorphs)
2. Improving Lillys Research and Development Effectiveness
- Partner with Lilly pharmaceutical scientists in developing new paradigms in product development via the selection and characterization of commercial salt/forms.
- Interact with project team members to provide input for appropriate salt and polymorph selection to projects managed by Lillys Outsourcing partners.
- Provide technical leadership in solid state thermodynamics and direct related solid state characterization techniques.
3. Employee Management and Development
- Encourage and integrate best practices and standards in the design and development of solutions.
- Based on needs, develop and introduce new techniques, methods, and processes to improve business effectiveness especially in the area of integrated drug substance and drug product development.
- Encourage sharing different perspectives during technical discussions.
- Generate new ideas or methods to resolve problems.
- Reorganize (or reinterpret) existing data or information to develop new initiatives or different approach to problems.
4. Contributing to Scientific Community
- Meet with direct reports to obtain data and information regarding the lab work in order to develop their scientific skills and knowledge.
- Meet with direct reports routinely to identify and assess areas need improvement, provide guidelines, establish good relationship and provide performance feedback and suggestions for improvement.
- Exam and review experiment set up with direct reports to ensure lab safety
- Act as mentor to other scientists and engineers and provide suggestions for their work improvement
- Participate in internal and external professional scientific organizations.
- Develop and maintain cutting edge expertise in areas of crystallization technologies.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and execute strong experimental plans.
- Ph. D. in Chemical Engineering, Material Science, or Physical Chemistry, with 8+ years of experience in crystallization development
- Ability to understand the interactions of chemical processes with a change in equipment scale.
- Basic wet-chemistry and development engineering lab skills.
- Expertise in solid state characterization equipment including XRPD, TGA-MS, DSC, VTI, Optical Microscopy.
- Working knowledge of general analytical equipment such as HPLC,GC, NMR.
- Knowledge of Good Laboratory Practice.
Lilly credits its exceptional employees for its successes, and knows the key to ongoing achievement lies in attracting and retaining the best people. A company rich in heritage, Lilly employs individuals, conducts research and markets products worldwide. By providing for the unmet needs of our customers through a continuous stream of innovation, we will outgrow all competitors.
- Problem solving skills.
- Creative thinking skills.
- Communication skills. Must be able to communicate effectively and clearly (written and verbal).
- Interpersonal skills.
- Strong demonstrated knowledge in crystallization thermodynamics
- Experience at the Drug Product - API interface
- Experience with continuous crystallization development
- Experience with other unit operation process development beyond crystallization
Lilly earns consistent and wide recognition for creating an exceptional work environment while maintaining our highly regarded reputation in the Pharmaceutical Industry and Community:
LILLY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
- FORTUNEMost Globally Admired Companies™
- FORTUNETop Companies for Leaders in North America™
- Chronicle of Philanthropy Most Generous Companies in the US
- Business Week Magazine Best Places To Launch A Career™
- Information Week 500 Most Innovative Users of Technology
- Science Magazine Best Companies for Scientists™
- The ScientistBest Places to Work in the Industry™
- Black Enterprise Top 40 Companies for Diversity
- Working Mother Best Companies for Working Mothers™
CareerTopJobs.com - 4 years ago
copy to clipboard
At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in...