EMPLOYEE JOB DESCRIPTION
POSITION TITLE: Systems Engineer – Windows (SSG Division)
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full time
OFFICE LOCATION: Seattle, WA
ABOUT THE COMPANY:
When it comes to mission-critical wireless communications, TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. (TCS) ( NASDAQ: TSYS ) solves some of the toughest technical challenges. We produce solutions for communications that demand proven high levels of reliability, security, and availability.
TCS achievements include:
We are leaders in making the emergency infrastructure of America compatible with the latest multimedia communications technologies. Some of the projects you might be a part of:
- Secure deployable communication systems
- Location-based wireless infrastructure and apps
- Telematics and navigation
- VoIP Enhanced 9-1-1 services (E9-1-1; E1-1-2)
- Text messaging infrastructure for wireless operators
- Information assurance and cyber-security
- Engineered satellite-based services
- Professional services for communications solutions
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
- Creating cutting edge Geospatial databases
- Upgrading emergency 9-1-1 infrastructure to accept everything from medical data to pictures of an accident scene as part of an emergency call
- Creating new products to safeguard your family and your home
This individual is responsible for the design, deployment, and ongoing support of Windows Server 2008 platforms hosting a variety of applications for the Safety and Security Division of TCS Inc. This person is expected to be a subject matter expert with a firm grasp of server hardware, Windows Server, OS tools, and networking functions and protocols.
- Work with other System Engineers to plan, design and implement systems in heterogeneous, distributed environments, development through production.
- Provide Tier II and Tier III support for system related issues.
- Research, specify, evaluate, test and recommend hardware and supporting software components within the OS specialty area.
- Provide backup and restore services.
- Perform user management functions for all Windows servers.
- Works with developers, testers, and DBAs to monitors and adjust systems to achieve optimum performance levels.
- Develops and promotes standard operating procedures, including Disaster Recovery documentation and procedures.
- Recommends upgrades, patches, new applications, and equipment.
- Participate in on-call rotation for non-business hour support. Some systems require 99.999% availability.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Candidate should have solid experience in the design, implementation, and maintenance of Windows Server 2008 installations in a heterogeneous and complex networked environment.
- Experience with deploying and managing Windows servers in a VMware ESXi 5.0 environment, running on HP DL360, and Dell PowerEdge hardware. (experience with VCenter a plus)
- Ability to use PowerShell for automated, scripted, remote administration of servers.
- Solid understanding of security vulnerabilities and solutions for Windows Server operating systems.
- Intermediate understanding of IPv4 Layer 2/3 networking technology (IPv6 is a plus).
- Ability to design, install, and support Active Directory with multiple domains.
- Excellent understanding of Group Policies and user management.
- Experience with external storage arrays a plus (SAN, NAS), and understanding of various RAID types.
- Working knowledge of Symantec NetBackup 6.5.
- Minimum 5-7 years Windows Server experience in a heterogeneous system environment.
- MSCE Server Infrastructure certification is desired.
- Self-starter with strong initiative and assertiveness
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Solid problem solving skills, attention to detail, and inherent decision making ability
- Willing to work overtime and on-call as necessary to meet organizational needs.
- Ability to perform work duties under stress and time pressures, and effectively handle concurrent projects.
- Ability to excel in a team environment that emphasizes total cooperation and mutual respect.
- Experience and understanding of the telecommunications industry is a plus.
TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Telecommunication Systems - 23 months ago