To provide accounting services which ensure accurate, timely and meaningful reporting of financial transactions. Advise on difficult or complex issues where proper resolution is not clear. Furnish concise, clear summary/explanation of difficult topics for use by management. Assists and supports General Accounting Management with review and supervision of staff work. Represents General Accounting on critical special projects; acts as "troubleshooter" for General Accounting management, including the Director of Accounting Services and Regional Controller.
• Ensure accurate and timely recording of financial transactions by:
• Analyzing and/or reviewing analyses of complex financial transactions.
• Oversee complex financial issues and work with staff and outside departments to identify issues and resolve.
• Reviewing reports for submission to Program Office, management or regulators.
• Assist Director and Managers with review of staff work, including journal entries, reconciliations, special reports, providing training to staff.
• Support SOX requirements for the region.
• Ensure the timely and accurate preparation and reporting of data to state and federal regulatory agencies.
• Prepare or review monthly/quarterly returns for business and occupation taxes, sales taxes, business licenses, employee moving expenses and unclaimed property.
• Prepare and analyze corporate tax return information required by Program Office for federal and state reporting.
• Develop and maintain regional accounting policies, practices and procedures by:
• Review, interpret and communicate to department all additions and supplements to the Kaiser Uniform Accounting Policies and Guidelines. Serve as liaison to Program Office on all draft proposals for review and comments.
• Prepare and update departmental accounting policies and procedures manual.
• Research, resolve issues with other departments, recommend actions and develop written uniform procedures.
• Review Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) publications and in conjunction with Program Office determine applicability to regional accounting policies.
• Represent General Accounting on projects and special assignments to meet department/division/organization goals.
• Collaborate on special projects or committees as assigned, i.e. cash controls, revenue cycle, Point of Service, 24-hour care, Visiting Member, regional sales tax issues, charitable care, statutory reporting changes, and addressing regulatory issues.
• Performs other duties as requested.
• Five (5) + years of accounting experience at the senior level demonstrating the ability to plan and manage multiple projects and to logically organize and present facts.
• Bachelor's degree in accounting, business administration or finance.
• High school diploma or GED.
• Thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
• Working knowledge of tax and business law.
• Working knowledge of personal computers.
• Working knowledge of mainframe financial system applications.
• Excellent organizational and problem solving skills.
• Excellent, demonstrated verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to handle several projects/tasks at the same time.
• Flexibility in work assignments.
• Previous HMO, preferably Kaiser experience.
• One (1) to three (3) years of supervisory, staff oversight or staff training experience.
• Project Management Skills.
• CPA (Certified Public Accountant) or CIA (Certified Internal Auditor).
• Knowledge of online general ledger systems.
• Knowledge of user programming languages.
• Working knowledge of personal computer software programs for financial applications and work processing.
$66,740 - $91,460
Kaiser Permanente - 13 months ago
America’s leading not-for-profit health plan, Kaiser Permanente serves more than 9 million people from 37 hospitals and 611...