This is managerial level position leading the Driver Assistance Systems team based at the Volkswagen Electronics Research Lab (ERL) in Belmont, CA. Key responsibilities for this position include leading a team of engineers, managing resources,intellectual property, financial planning, strategic project management, and internal/external network development.
The ERL focuses on applied research and development with the goal to develop and transfer innovative technology from industries and research institutions into the automotive domain and build the future generation of cars. The Driver Assistance Systems (DAS) team develops technical solutions that assist the driver in safe, convenient and fuel efficient driving, and permit an intelligent interaction with information. We take an innovative, hands-on, and prototyping approach to our project work where out-of-the-box thinking is encouraged. We invite you to create technologies that shape the automotive industry and lead research and development activities related to energy efficient electronics and vehicle architectures.
- Define overall mission and strategy for ERL Driver Assistance systems team
- Align individual/project goals with DAS team goals, and ERL mission
- Lead DAS Group in research and development activities
- Regular project/progress reports and presentations to top management, mentors, partners, and project affiliates
- Take ownership of ERL specific Driver Assistance Systems team performance metrics
- Conduct research on autonomously driving vehicles for the development of driver assistance systems that make driving more comfortable, safe and energy efficient.
- Design and prototype autonomous vehicle technologies, realize autonomous concept vehicles, evaluate and validate automotive applicability
- Initiate and implement partnerships with external partners (companies, research institutions, universities)
- Transfer technologies and solutions to Volkswagen Group development divisions
- Represent Volkswagen Group in technical community, such as at conferences
- Expand research network between Volkswagen Group and local Tier 1 and 2 Universities
- Serve as DAS research liaison between the Volkswagen Automotive Innovations Laboratory and internal partners
- Secure internal project funding for research initiatives from Volkswagen and Audi partners
- Transfer DAS technology to internal Volkswagen Group partners and customers
- Ability to communicate regularly and influence VW/Audi partners in Germany
- Develop supplier network with local silicon valley companies (i.e., prototype design and development)
- Lead and manage a team of 10 engineers at the ERL and serve as an example for the team.
- Strategically organize personnel around DAS core competencies
- Facilitate networking opportunities for DAS Group members
- Mentor DAS Group members for job training and career advancement
- Provide research, design, and engineering skill development opportunities for group members
- Communicate policy and processes to DAS Group members
- Write evaluations and statements for internal/external advancement of DAS Group members
- Guide the Performance Management Plans and Professional Developments Plans of employees
- Strategic planning for Driver Assistance Systems team project portfolio
- Secure intellectual property and develop road maps with automotive focus
- Portfolio management of intellectual property in the field of Drive Assistance Systems
- Lead research and development activities to improve autonomous vehicles for various purposes.
- Research and Development focus in field of Driver Assistance systems
- Manage internal/external budget and resources for Driver Assistance Systems team
- Cross-organizational management of ERL resources and resources
Required : Master of Science in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or in a related field
Desired : PhD in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or in a related field
Years of Experience: 5-7 years in a technical leadership role
- In-depth experience with drive-by-wire systems and drive-by-wire conversions of stock vehicles
- Experience with turning concepts into functional prototypes
- Knowledge about embedded hardware and software design (PCB, C/C )
- Experience in desktop software development in Matlab and Java
- Strong communication skills, problem solving abilities, and influencing and negotiation skills
- Strong Technical and method expertise
- Strong communication and problem solving abilities
- Proven leadership skills and project management experience in interdisciplinary and inter-organizational teams
- Public Relations experience- assertive and leadership skills
- Focus on customer orientation
- High level of engagement and self-initiative
- Familiarity with automotive electronics and driver assistance systems
- Experience in one or more of the following technical areas:
- Sensors, signal processing, computer/vehicle vision
- Vehicle control and stability, vehicle dynamics
- Software and hardware architectures, operating system concepts
- Real-time embedded systems
- Control systems, robotics, and mechatronics
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
- International and domestic travel to meet with internal/external partners.
- Regular conference attendance for Driver Assistance systems topics research.
- Travel for internal and external shows for communication of project progress, results, and transfer.
Volkswagen Group of America - 9 months ago
Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Volkswagen AG, the world's fourth largest automaker and the largest carmak...