Responsible for assisting with the overall day-to-day operations of the store including continuous development of effective store associates to achieve desired sales and EBITDA results. Daily assess the stores’ ability to meet/exceed customer expectations for ease of shopping, variety, freshness, cleanliness, food safety and regulatory compliance. Assist with the coaching and development of store associates through both formal and informal interactions. Supports all aspects of the Customer 1st Strategy. Role model and demonstrate the company’s core values of respect, honesty, integrity, diversity, inclusion and safety of others.
Financial and other company goals:
- Assist store manager and associates in the achievement of a favorable customer shopping experience and associate interest in customer service/relations which enhances Kroger’s reputation as the best merchant in the retail food industry.
- Assist the store manager in leading teams in the planning, implementation and execution of merchandising and operating initiatives.
- Assist the store manager with developing action plans, and communications to all store associates on the results of the Associate 1 st Survey.
- Work with department heads and store associates to identify opportunities in the store, develop timely solutions and create action plans to ensure implementation of plans.
- Role models and demands the highest level of customer service.
- Manage total operations of the store in the Store Managers absence.
Serve as communication channel:
- Achieve/exceed weekly, period, and annual sales, wage budgets and profit budgets, as well as other targeted goals (e.g. safety, shrink).
- Drive sales working with department managers to produce and maximize sales and profits, reduce shrink and improve each store department’s contribution.
- Assist the store manager in the regular store-level financial performance discussions to include developing budgets (e.g., sales, shrink, labor expenses, other expenses) and other targeted goals (e.g., safety) with store associates.
- Analyze and respond to the competitive landscape within the district and division.
- Demonstrate inclusionary leadership, expect inclusive behavior from associates, and support the efforts of the Store, District, and Division Cultural Councils.
- Utilize coordinators and other field staff to ensure store departments are achieving their sales and profit goals and ensure implementation, and execution of division merchandising plans.
- Promote and support strong relationships with local community organizations in the surrounding area in which the store operates.
- Assist in building a proactive and productive relationship with union representatives and business agents, if the store is covered by a collectively bargaining agreement.
- Solve issues/concerns of associates and customers as needed.
- Communicate all necessary information to store associates enabling them to effectively carry out their duties.
- Serve as liaison providing upward feedback to Store Manager, District Manager and Coordinators on the effectiveness of all Division merchandising and operational plans/programs.
- Assist the store manager in staffing, reducing turnover and increasing retention.
- Provide timely feedback to department heads and all associates on individual and department performance.
- Assist with the management of labor and supply costs on a daily basis to meet customer service and financial targets.
- Ensure store compliance and associate knowledge of Federal, State, and Local laws, and with enterprise policies.
- Supervise and coach direct reports on the performance of their duties; complete performance reviews and provide feedback to direct reports.
- Must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
Some of the Behaviors needed to successfully perform this position are:
Job Specific Skills:
- Puts the Customer First - Anticipates customer needs, champions for the customer, acts with customers in mind, exceeds customers’ expectations, gains customers’ trust and respect.
- Communicates effectively and candidly - Communicates clearly and directly, approachable, relates well to others, engages people and helps them understand change, provides and seeks feedback, articulates clearly, actively listens.
- Achieves results through teamwork – Is open to diverse ideas, works inclusively and collaboratively, holds self and others accountable, involves others to accomplish individual and team goals.
- Leads through positive influence – Demonstrates strong character; builds partnerships; models a conscious balance between work and personal life; takes personal responsibility for own development; role models leadership qualities such as motivation, inspiration, passion and trust.
- Coaches and develops others - Develops and cares about associates, builds effective teams, helps people be their best, values and manages diversity, provides candid and constructive feedback.
- Leads change and innovation - Challenges the status quo, embraces technology, puts forward creative ideas, champions and implements process improvements, gathers the ideas of others, demonstrates good judgment about which ideas will work.
- Executes with excellence - Is action oriented, drives for results, sets clear expectations and milestones, reviews progress, acts decisively, solves problems, can be counted on to consistently meet or exceed goals.
- Provides clear and strategic direction - Plans and organizes well, sets a clear and simple course of action, stays focused on the most important priorities, has the ability to visualize and plan for the future, understands the industry and marketplace.
- Safety Awareness - Identifying and correcting conditions that affect employee safety; upholding safety standards.
- Technical/Professional Knowledge, Compliance and Skills – Achieving a satisfactory level of technical and professional skill or knowledge in position and/or related areas; keeping up with current developments and trends in areas of expertise. Ensures associates and location comply with laws and regulation applicable to the company.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- Possess high school degree or equivalent
- Have successfully completed the applicable Division Management Training Program.
Desired Previous Job Experience:
- Supervisory responsibilities
- Retail experience
- Financial responsibility including budget preparation and management
Potential Career Path from this Position:
- Store Manager
- District Coordinator
- Administrative Position in G.O. or Division Office
Interested associates are required to submit a letter of intent, resume or detailed work history, and a completed MD-1 Job Posting Acknowledgement Form (which requires both Store Manager and District Manager signatures) to Lydia Davis at [Click Here to Email Your Resumé] Your application will not be considered if the appropriate documentation is not received by the posting deadline.
Dillon Stores is an Equal Opportunity Employer