FreshDirect is the leading profitable online grocer in the U.S. with customers in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. It is known for its fresh-from-the-farm foods and brand-name groceries at everyday low prices, all delivered to customers’ doors. FreshDirect’s food experts rate all produce and seafood every morning and give each item an Expert Quality Rating to help customers choose what is best and in-season. FreshDirect customers can enjoy over 600 Entrees and Side Dishes, made fresh daily by professional chefs using the finest, freshest ingredients. FreshDirect ranks 70th on Internet Retailer’s Top 500 Guide®. For more information, please visit www.freshdirect.com . For updates, follow us on Twitter: @freshdirect and on Facebook: facebook.com/FreshDirect.
The Senior Linux Systems Engineer is responsible to design, configure, implement, and support of Linux computing systems hardware and software infrastructure for a mission-critical 24x7 environment.
- Design, configure, implement, and support of Linux computing systems hardware and software infrastructure; provide senior level input on technical design decision and direction.
- Perform senior level technical leadership in all aspects of technological improvement and enhancement.
- Study the overall business and information needs of an organization, in order to develop solutions to business and related technology problems.
- Perform architectural design and implementation based on current and future system requirements.
- Provide principal advice on technical design decisions and direction.
- Perform Linux virtualization implementation, support and upgrades
- Provide technical support for problems and changes as they relate to the systems infrastructure.
- Provide systems engineering functions on planned projects; assure the overall technical quality of the design / solution.
- Work with software development, performance engineering and internal / external clients on creating systems requirements, projection and growth.
- Act as liaison on an engineering level between Application, DBA, QA, Networking and other groups.
- Keep apprised of technology changes, advancements, trends and enhancements.
- Create, maintain and update platform documentation and standard operating procedures.
- Perform mentoring of less experienced personnel.
- Receives general instructions on what is to be done, limitations, quality and quantity expected, deadlines, and priority of assignments from Teamleader. Uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments independently without specific instruction but receives additional specific instructions from Teamleader for new, difficult, or special projects/assignments
- No supervisory responsibility
- BS / BA degree in computer Science, Information Systems or related field
- Requires minimum of 7 years related systems administration experience, with a minimal of 3 years working in a senior systems administration role.
- Additional years of senior systems administration experience may be substituted for degree requirement
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to articulate issues in business and technical terms.
- Must be able to present financial and technical data related to upgrades and replacement requirements
- Performed engineering work concerned with the analysis, planning, designing, evaluating, selecting, and upgrading of systems
- Must have worked in an operational senior Linux administration role supporting mission-critical platforms, including physical and virtualized environments.
- Possess in-depth working knowledge of Linux file systems and storage architecture.
- Understanding of systems automation concepts and techniques in order to increase systems administration efficiency and support. 3rd party product experience such as Puppet would be a plus.
- Possess in-depth working knowledge of Linux patch management and related information security functions and implementation. Includes intrusion detection and intrusion prevention techniques and solutions.
- Strong working knowledge of Linux shell and scripting languages such as Perl and/or Bash
- Solid understanding of IP network technologies and software tools for performance monitoring and troubleshooting.
- Knowledgeable of systems auditing implementation and controls. SOX and PCI compliance experiences a plus.
- Must be a self-starter and be able to work independently, but also within a team.
- Must be able to learn quickly in a highly technical fast paced environment.
- Must be able to travel to data center, vendor sites and other company office as well as miscellaneous travel as needed
- Must be willing to work off-hours/weekends to support operational tasks
DisclaimerThe above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the Teammember(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of individuals in this position. Position Description may be subject to change as the needs of the organization changes.
As EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYERS , Fresh Direct, LLC and its affiliates do not discriminate against applicants or employees because of their race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, gender (except where gender is a bonafide occupational qualification), disability, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, marital status, veteran status, domestic violence victim status, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by federal, state, or local law.
FreshDirect - 15 months ago
The emphasis is on fresh at online grocer FreshDirect. The Internet grocery shopping service delivers to many New York City neighborhoods in...