**Please note this is a Per Diem position - NOT full or part-time**
Disaster Reserves play an integral part in disaster operations. In seeking candidates for Reserve positions, we are looking for individuals with disaster response experience coupled with skills in leadership, administration and management, strategic thinking, mentoring, problem solving and project management. Reserves are employees of the Red Cross who are paid only while working on disaster operations and on specific non-disaster assignments. Reserves are required to be available at least 6 months per year (especially during hurricane season, June through September), must be able to deploy with a minimum of notice and must meet the physical capacity grid for their Group and Activity’s work and have no Hardship Code Restrictions. Travel is required on almost all Disaster Reserve assignments.
On a Disaster Relief Operation the Manager leads the In-Kind Donations Activity. The Manager is responsible for all aspects of in-kind donation management which includes:
• Working with Disaster Relief Operation leadership (Chiefs/Managers) to forecast/identify in-kind needs,
• Coordinating solicitation of donors with local Chapter fundraising staff and National Headquarters fundraising staff,
• Soliciting unmanaged local donors,
• Arranging and tracking the shipment of in-kind donations until they are received,
• Proactively following up with local unmanaged donors, chapter fundraising staff, and national headquarters fundraising staff as needed,
• Receiving and addressing unsolicited offers as well as unsolicited donations,
• Working with Chapter fundraising staff and Relief Operation/Chapter Public Affairs staff to reduce the arrival of unsolicited donations,
• Liaising between Disaster Relief Operations headquarters and temporary or permanent Red Cross warehouses,
• Transferring excess donations to other organizations,
• Managing the stewardship and recognition of in-kind donors,
• Ensuring proper records management and reporting of received donations.
Managers oversee the work of Supervisors and are the subject matter experts on the in-kind activity. Managers also:
• Develop and ensure the implementation of the Activity’s section of the service delivery plan,
• Ensure clear and concise communication flow to and from the Activity workforce and operation leadership,
• Assess, manage, and monitor the staffing needs of the assigned Activity,
• Complete work performance evaluations for all staff in the work unit,
• Review relief operation status reports and visit service delivery sites as required,
• Meet with the Logistics Group Chief and other Activity managers to discuss plans and relevant issues and resolve current and potential service delivery problems.
• Non-disaster assignments could include developing program guidance for the In-Kind Donations Activity or other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications include:
The American Red Cross is an AA / EOE/M / F / D / V / SO Employer
- A Bachelors Degree
- A minimum of one year experience or equivalent experience in lieu of degree.
- Experience in development/fundraising, sales, marketing, senior management, training, leadership development.
- Additional qualifications include:
- expert technical knowledge of the Activity;
- consistently successful in-kind experience, including disaster operations;
- a strong understanding of Red Cross policies and procedures;
- experience in staff supervision; strong verbal and written communication skills;
- the ability to positively interact with high ranking individuals from companies and corporations, both in person and on the telephone;
- excellent customer service skills;
- the ability to mange multiple tasks simultaneously;
- and strong computer skills.
- Ability to perform duties in adverse work/living conditions.
The American Red Cross is where people mobilize to help their neighbors—down the street, across the country, and around the world—in...