Develops, maintains and administers Middlebury College’s Environmental Health and Safety Program to ensure the well being of employees, students and the community.
- Ensure College compliance with Federal, state OSHA / VOSHA regulations and College safety policies.
- Conduct periodic on campus inspections covered under the safety program. This includes faculty, staff, students, vendors and contractors. Provide resource services to any department or organization.
- Develop and administer Environmental, Health, and Safety programs including Occupational Safety, Industrial Hygiene and Environmental, as appropriate.
- Occupational safety will include but not be limited to Hazard Communication, Ergonomics, Bloodborne Pathogens, Respirator Protection, Confined Space, Lockout/Tagout, Crowd Management, Defensive Driving, First Aid/ CPR , Fire Safety, Fall Protection, Room Capacities studies and Fork Lift training.
- Training in these programs shall also be provided.
- Provide resources to the College’s summer program and to any other College entity; for example Monterey.
- Manage the College’s Emergency Response Team ( ERT ) and the Student Emergency Response Team ( SERT ). Coordinate the J Term EMT Program and conduct New Employee Safety Orientations. Act as the Head of Service for this State Licensed First Response Service as well as the Student Advisor for SERT .
- Develop and coordinate a positive working relationship with MVAA , Brandon Area Rescue, Bristol Rescue, and Vergennes Rescue. Offer SERT students the opportunity to volunteer with these squads.
- Manage the EH and S Safety and Ergonomic Budget
- Review Workers’ Compensation claims, and follow-up on accidents as appropriate.
- Provide resource assistance to outside organizations approved by the College including, but not limited to Porter Hospital, Vermont College Safety Group, MVAA .
- Review and recommend training and education for the College community as deemed appropriate.
- Provide Office Ergonomic assessments to employees.
- Recommend safety equipment purchases.
- Administer a rebate program for the employee purchase of safety shoes and RX safety glasses.
- Consult with contractors and vendors regarding safety related issues while they work on campus.
B.S. in Environmental Health and Safety or equivalent, Certified to teach First Aid and CPR , EMT license strongly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of state and federal safety and environmental regulations to include but not limited to OSHA / VOSHA , Vermont DEC , EPA and NFPA standards.
Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
3-5 years of experience in educational or industrial safety.
Middlebury College - 9 months ago