Position: Retirement Planning Specialist
Location: Boise, Idaho
JOB SUMMARY: To facilitate and enhance the sales process for assigned products lines and distribution channels by providing technical support and coordination with customers, the sales force and other internal Nationwide departments. Primary responsibilities will involve working with customers and/or direct marketing sales representatives to assist customers with their financial needs as they approach retirement. Focus of activities will be with those customers who are transitioning from the accumulation phase of their defined contribution plan to the distribution phase.
RELATIONSHIP: Reports to Manager / Director. 0 associates report directly to this position.
1. Advise customers and internal and external sales representatives on retirement income plan development. This will include explanation of product features and administrative procedures required with products currently owned and making appropriate new product recommendations.
2. Develop and conduct producer training in the home office and in the field.
3. Recommend product, procedural and administrative changes to increase sales or improve customer service.
4. Compile marketing information such as sales activity, production, frequently asked questions and objections raised by customers.
5. Research complex technical questions for sales force on products, planning issues, tax issues, Social Security and other retirement financial concerns.
6. Conduct periodic retirement planning seminars to customers and producers.
7. Assist in entity level presentations (in writing or in person) where information on retiree services is required.
8. Maintain awareness of changing legal environment as it impacts investments, retirement plans and insurance products. Work with appropriate areas (compliance, communications, advice, systems, sales, administration) to ensure ongoing compliance.
9. Act as a technical resource to communications areas regarding retiree marketing efforts.
10. Maintain detailed records of customer interactions, recommendations and actions in accordance with appropriate regulations.
11. Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Undergraduate degree in business administration or related area. CLU, ChFC, CFP designation or progress toward completion. NASD Series 6 and 63 licenses and state life and variable annuity licenses required to be secured within 60 days of being hired.
Experience: Five years working experience in sales, sales support, underwriting or other technical position dealing with securities and insurance regulations. Exposure to financial planning, particularly as it applies to consumers beginning retirement, required.
Knowledge: Proven knowledge of assigned products, regulatory requirements, distribution rules from 457, 401(k), 403(b), IRA, and other retirement savings plans; past experience with variable life desirable. Thorough understanding of various income options generally available from government employee defined benefit plans. Understanding of Social Security retirement benefits and medical benefits.
Skills/Competencies: Command of all skills for oral and written communication with widely varied audiences. Proven ability to analyze client need and determine the most appropriate financial solutions. Ability to effectively communicate complex information regarding distribution options, integration of income streams and tax issues. Solid group presentation skills required.
Values: Regularly and consistency demonstrates the Nationwide Values and Guiding Behaviors.
Staffing Exceptions to the above minimum job requirements must be approved by: Business Unit VP and HR VP.
Overtime Eligibility: Not Eligible (exempt).
Working Conditions: Normal office environments. Job requires significant use of telephone communication. Occasional overnight travel may be required.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company - 22 months ago