ARRIS is a global communications technology company specializing in the design, engineering and supply of communications and IP technologies that support broadband services for residential and business customers around the world. The company supplies broadband operators with the tools and platforms they need to deliver and monitor advanced video, data and voice subscriber services, including whole home video across multiple screens, ultra high-speed data, personalized advertising and carrier-grade telephony. Headquartered near Atlanta, in Suwanee, Georgia, USA, ARRIS has R&D centers in Beaverton, OR; Chicago, IL; Cork, Ireland; Kirkland, WA; Redwood City, CA; Shenzhen, China; State College, PA; Tel Aviv, Israel; Wallingford, CT and Waltham, MA, and operates support and sales offices throughout the world. Information about ARRIS products and services can be found at www.arrisi.com.
The Sr. Systems Administrator, R&D is primarily responsible for the ongoing maintenance and support of ARRIS’ Linux-based ClearCase infrastructure where 99.5% uptime is required. Provide central oversight of all configuration management systems; help streamline R&D processes throughout various R&D groups. Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following: assists with the management and support of all ARRIS IT-supported Unix/Linux/Solaris environments and systems (e.g., PeopleSoft Financials / CRM / HCM / Portal, Novell eDirectory / Access Manager / Identity Manager, Apache web servers, MySQL databases, etc.); management and support of VMware virtualized environments; performance monitoring & analysis; network configuration; project management; troubleshooting; and forecasting. This position will also assist in the management and support of ARRIS’ Enterprise Storage environments.
Key Duties & Responsibilities (in decreasing Critical Emphasis order)
- Responsible for all aspects of ARRIS' R&D Development environments that are supported by ARRIS IT. (Currently, this is primarily comprised of IBM/Rational ClearCase, but is subject to change or expand to other ALM platforms.)
- Support daily ClearCase activities including MultiSite processes, performance monitoring and tuning, maintenance, training, builds, vob and view management.
- Define & implement ClearCase systems best practices.
- Assist R&D communities in the setup of new ClearCase systems including vob, view, build, license, install and registry servers.
- Provide technical support in outage situations with the assistance of IBM Rational Support.
- Setup and maintain MultiSite operations for all R&D facilities.
- Provide monitoring to MultiSite operations to verify 99.5% availability.
- Define & implement build process automation.
- Assist Load Build Managers, as needed.
- Support the Linux, Storage and VMware environments within the Enterprise Infrastructure Group.
- Provide consistent documentation of all configuration management systems.
- Verify backup operations for all environments with the Enterprise Infrastructure Group.
- Project Manage configuration management tasks.
Formal Education: Bachelors degree in Computer Science or equivalent combination of education and experience required .
Formal Training: Linux (UNIX) Administration; Bash/ksh/Perl Scripting; VMware vSphere Administration required.
Experience (type & duration): Red Hat Linux Administration (7 years); Bash/ksh/Perl Scripting (5 years); VMware vSphere (3 years); general MS Windows Administration (5 years), required.
Skills: Good team player; works well any time of the day; well organized; good oral and written communication skill; able to develop project plans and manage accordingly.
Formal Education: Bachelors degree in Computer Science
Formal Training: IBM Rational training courses to include any of the following: Essentials of Rational ClearCase for Unix; Essentials of Configuration Management with Rational ClearCase; Mastering Rational ClearCase Administration for UNIX; Mastering ClearCase MultiSite Administration. Advanced-level Red Hat Linux Administration courses; VMware vSphere Adminstration courses; NetApp Data ONTAP Administration courses.
Experience: 10+ years administering Red Hat Linux and/or HP-UX/Solaris/AIX in a mission-critical environment; 7+ years scripting (Bash/ksh/Perl); 5+ years managing VMware ESX/ESXi or vSphere environments ; 3+ years managing NAS/SAN storage (NetApp preferred); 3 - 5 years ClearCase Configuration Management with 100+ Engineers using MultiSite; 7+ years Windows Server administration including AD.
Skills: Good team player who is self-motivated and willing to do what is necessary to get the job done right the first time; works well any time of the day; very good oral and written communication ability; able to produce well-documented technical procedures; customer-service minded; able to develop mid- to long-term project plans and manage accordingly; able to adapt to a rapidly changing environment; ability to coordinate and lead team efforts; ability to trouble-shoot issues independently.
Accreditation/certifications/licenses: Red Hat Linux Certifications; VMware Certifications.
ARRIS Group, Inc. - 18 months ago