Boulder County has an opening for an Appraiser I in the County Assessor's Office.
The Assessor I will work in a team environment to estimate the value of residential type properties to determine market valuation. This position must have working knowledge of all areas of the assessment process, familiarity with CAMA software, GIS assessment, digital photo technology and the PC environment along with databases; has primary responsibility along with members in their team for all residential properties in that teams assigned geographic area, including all land values, improved property values, and accuracy and equity of all appraisals within that area including Single Family homes, Duplexes, Condominiums, Apartments, Mobile Homes, and vacant land.
Furthermore, the Appraiser I educates the public about the assessment process; defends valuation of these properties at the Assessor Level and County Board of Equalization; assists in making recommendations for appeals to District Court, Binding Arbitration, and State Board of Assessment Appeals levels; makes changes to the real property file accurately and efficiently. Must have a strong knowledge of current market trends and conditions within their geographic area and report them to the mass appraisal deputy as well as to the public upon request; must be able to help other departments when requested; promptly and efficiently performs all other tasks as assigned.
Works under general supervision of Appraiser II, Appraiser III, and Assessor's Appraisal Deputies.
May review work completed by new and temporary employees in appraisal, assessment procedures and data entry.
Examples of Duties:
1. Familiar with database mining, and has the ability to draw conclusions from manipulation of text, graphic and other data.
2. Must be familiar with GIS centric appraisal techniques.
3. Must have working knowledge of all areas of the assessment process, familiarity with all software involved used by the Assessor's office: CAMA software, the Geographic Information System (GIS), comparable grid applications used in assessment appraisal , spreadsheet applications (Excel), database query tools (MS Access), Microsoft Office Professional tool suite, time sheets, and BCanywhere laptop connectivity software, MLS, and other related software tools.
4. Must have working knowledge of APEX drawing software; know how to read and translate blueprints into APEX, have working knowledge of digital photo applications.
5. Locates properties by legal description.
6. Reviews various reports for accuracy of data collection and data entry for assigned properties.
7. Completes all work for NOV's, appeal period, certification and tax roll as required by statute.
8. Performs special assignments from supervisors for review and action.
9. Reports weekly progress to team leaders and/or department leaders and/or mass appraisal deputy when appropriate.
10. Performs all other duties and related work as assigned.
11. Determines the market values of residential properties by the sales comparison approach utilizing mass appraisal tools and appraisal expertise.
12. Appraises and sets residential land values in compliance with statutory requirements and appraisal standards.
13. Reviews deed and sale information to determine market trends and correct coding of sales information.
14. Analyzes sales ratio information to ensure accuracy and equity of values.
15. Estimates the value of residential properties to determine market valuation.
16. Researches files to ensure correct property characteristic listings, and reviews previous appraisals for accuracy.
17. Performs field reviews on properties with outstanding building permits to establish market value changes resulting from changes in building characteristics.
18. Researches and prepares tax roll changes for the Treasurer.
19. Makes all updates required in a timely fashion and performs all data entry related to appraisals and reviews.
20. Makes phone call appraisals on simple remodels.
21. Collects physical characteristics in the field and establishes a basis for market valuations of residential property which includes photographing, inventorying property characteristics, measuring and drawing buildings and other appropriate structures.
22. Determines types and quality of construction and gathers information from builders on costs of new and remodeled buildings.
23. Confirms sales for all sold properties according to established procedures.
24. Values vacant subdivisions complete with state of development and appropriate discounting factors.
25. Must complete on average five to seven appraisals and reviews per day.
Public and Industry Interactions:
26. Educates taxpayers in assessment process and the procedures used to arrive at actual and assessed values.
27. Contacts businesses and individuals to gather information pertinent to listing property for assessment purposes.
28. Responsible for all property correspondence, both verbal and written, concerning valuations, assessments, changes to the assessment roll and statutory assessment procedures for properties in assigned area.
29. Works directly with the public dealing with taxpayers' appeals during appeal period and on a daily basis as required.
30. Defends values at Assessor and County Board of Equalization levels; assists in preparation of narrative appraisal documents that meet the national Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice requirements.
High school diploma or equivalent and two years of appraisal experience or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience in real estate or business and a bachelor's degree are preferred.
Must obtain the State of Colorado Registered Appraiser's License within 6 months of date of hire.
Must have a valid Colorado Driver's License.
Preferred working knowledge of:
- Assessor's Reference Library Vol's 1, 2 and 3: Assessment and Property Tax Laws, Administrative and Assessment Procedures, and Appraisal Procedures and Instructions
- ECS reference manuals
- Boulder County policies and procedures
- Public records booklet
- Abstract of Assessment
- Assessment calendar
- Boulder County Assessor public information brochures
- Colorado Revised Statutes
- DPT Introduction to Assessment
- GRI Appraisal I
- IAAO Course I
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Working knowledge and skill in operation of personal computers, software and auxiliary equipment currently being used by the Boulder County Assessor's office. Have the ability to manipulate property characteristic information and sale information specific to appraisal and assessment work. Have working knowledge of buildings, construction materials, practices and terminologies of appraisal and assessment. Have the ability to read and interpret directives, manuals and other guides. Must have working knowledge of assessment law and practices and principles of real property appraisal. Have the ability to appraise real property with accuracy. Have the ability to prepare and maintain accurate records. Have the ability to read and interpret legal descriptions. Must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, other governmental agencies and the public.
- Work involves sitting or standing at a counter/desk 75% of the time, sitting/working with equipment 10% of the time, and walking or performing various duties 15% of the time.
- Work involves field inspections on sloping and un-graded terrain and extended periods of walking and standing.
- Utilizes full scope of visual capacity in order to conduct appraisal processes and operate automated equipment.
- Constant use of eye, hand, and finger coordination enabling performance of appraisal duties and the operation of relevant equipment.
- Occasionally lifts, carries, pulls or pushes up to 20 lbs.
- Uses cart, dolly or other equipment to carry in excess of 25 lbs.
- Occasionally stoops, kneels, balances, reaches, crawls and crouches while performing office or work duties.
- Verbal and auditory capacity enabling interpersonal communication through automated devices, such as telephones, radios, etc.
- Approximately 80% of time is spent in an office environment and the remainder of the time outside or inside a vehicle, working in all kinds of weather.
Boulder County, CO - 6 months ago
Synergy Staffing Inc
Synergy Staffing Inc
- 6 days ago
Boulder County, CO
Boulder County, CO
Boulder County, CO
- 30+ days ago
- 6 days ago